Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing, or crashing and rebooting - completely unable to use.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

#1 KeithKatz

KeithKatz

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:16 PM

I tried to ask for help here but someone decided my post should be moved to one for "infected". Since I posted, 88 have viewed, one replied saying somebody else would have to help. To this minute, I have not received even a hint at where to start and I am nearly at my wits end. Meanwhile, I have seen many new posts get answered and issues solved. Have I insulted someone or broken some rule? If so, please accept my apology and please give me another chance. I am desperate.

I need my computer for my business and I can't even keep it working for long enough to boot to a windows screen in some cases. If I boot into safe mode, I have no crashes or failures or reboots, but am obviously severely limited regarding functionality.

Please someone, have a small amount of empathy for my situation. I have a son who is Autistic and I need to be able to earn a living to be able to pay for the support services he needs. Without my computer, I am unable to support my family. All of my important business information and software is on that PC so I am completely handicapped. I don't have the money to pay the Geek Squad or any other retail establishment to resolve this problem, so I am forced to try to resolve myself.

Any help that anyone can offer will be tremendously appreciated.
Thanks.

Edited by KeithKatz, 05 October 2010 - 10:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockmilk

rockmilk

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:19 PM

Question:Do you have your windows xp cd?

#3 KeithKatz

KeithKatz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:20 PM

I am sure I can locate it.

#4 rockmilk

rockmilk

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:30 PM

Ok then.I would like you to try THIS . :thumbsup: Let me know how things go. Dont worry, you wont lose any critical information.Only windows updates,and ie8 if you have that installed.You will need to visit Microsoft Windows Update when you have finished with the repair install.Keep us posted.

Edited by rockmilk, 05 October 2010 - 10:37 PM.

#5 KeithKatz

KeithKatz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:42 PM

OK, I am less confident now. I found the sleeve for the Original Windows XP CD which came with the computer, but not the disc. I did however find an original (hologram) Windows XP Professional SP2 Upgrade CD in the sleeve. I'll try this.

#6 rockmilk

rockmilk

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:44 PM

Is it just the service pack?If so I dont think that will work.If the cd contains the os then you are good to go.

Edited by rockmilk, 05 October 2010 - 10:45 PM.

#7 KeithKatz

KeithKatz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:57 PM

OK, thanks for getting involved and for recommending this repair. It seems to be moving along...currnetly at 62%.

#8 KeithKatz

KeithKatz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:58 PM

Yes, it's the OS CD, but it's the UPGRADE for XP, I believe it takes older versions of Windows such as ME and 98 and brings them up to XP SP2. Fortunately it also contains the Repair option.

Edited by KeithKatz, 05 October 2010 - 10:59 PM.

#9 rockmilk

rockmilk

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:59 PM

Ok Ill be here for another couple of hours there are still more things we can try if this is unsuccessful. :thumbsup:

#10 KeithKatz

KeithKatz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:07 PM

It went through the delete and replace process, but on reboot, it came into the same screen as if it was a completely new install, showing 39 minutes to complete and is now installing devices. I am getting nervous that it might actually replace the user account and possibly also essentially overwrite the OS so that all installed software will no longer show up in the registry or program files list.

#11 rockmilk

rockmilk

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:08 PM

Dont worry as long as you followed the link correctly you are good to go.

#12 rockmilk

rockmilk

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:10 PM

Your almost finished! Windows XP will appear to be installing itself for the first time, but it will retain all of your data and settings. Just follow the prompts, and have your CD-KEY ready if needed.

#13 KeithKatz

KeithKatz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:12 PM

OK, I did follow the process and did select "R", for repair. Let's hope the same thing that happened to the last guy on that page's list isn't happening to me.

#14 rockmilk

rockmilk

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:14 PM

Ok let me know how it goes.

#15 KeithKatz

KeithKatz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:14 PM

I am disappointed to see that it is trying to install unsigned drivers for all of the on-board devices and my video card. We may have stumbled upon a quirk when using an upgrade disc to repair.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users