Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iTunes stopped working and will not reinstall

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jdertyd15

jdertyd15

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:41 PM

Hello, I'm new to this so I'm not sure exactly what to put, but help would be greatly appreciated.

I run an hp with windows vista 64 bit

A few months ago iTunes stopped working on me. I tried over and over to uninstall and reinstall the program since i use it daily. After getting errors after errors I gave up. Yesterday I tried again, with no success. After loading the installer, it gets partway through and then stops telling me that it cannot complete the installation. There is some strange error message that I don't understand. I have no other versions of itunes or quicktime on my computer, so I do not understand why it won't install.... Thoughts? Suggestions? Your help would amazing.

Sincerely, iPod needs updated music

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:22 PM

So uninstalling works fine but reinstalling doesn't? Could you post the error message? that might help a bit
and have you closed all other windows while installing?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:10 AM

There is a free program for uninstalling iTunes called Bye Tunes. You can download it here. Give this a try and then see if you can reinstall iTunes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 jdertyd15

jdertyd15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:52 AM

An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC80.CRT,version=
"8.0.50727.4053",type="win32",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",process
orArchitecture="x86".Please refer to Help and Support for more information.
HRESULT: 0x80070005

#5 jdertyd15

jdertyd15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:01 AM

I also tried the bye tunes software, it successfully uninstalled everything, but upon trying again to install iTunes I received the same message

#6 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:47 PM

Basics: Installing as admin? Tried closing any security software/antivirus/firewalls while installing?

Other than that, it seems that the problem might have to do with Microsoft VC++.
Try installing this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/deta...ang=en#filelist

#7 jdertyd15

jdertyd15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:47 PM

I downloaded and attempted to install what you suggested. The interesting part:

I received the exact same error message as above during installation..

Could it be something in my operating system that is goofy? I also tried installing google chrome and the same thing happened.

#8 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:09 PM

When you go into "Add or Remove Programs", there should be some entries staring with "Microsoft Visual C++". What are the entries on your computer? If there are some stuff, I would suggest uninstalling these, and then go ahead and install the newest one: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84

#9 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:31 AM

Does this happen for any software that you try to install.

If so, there may be something wrong with msi (microsoft software installer).
for3ver,
goose90proof

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users