Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton/symantec

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zz4

zz4

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:24 PM

A question about Norton/Symantec products ???

I have bought their Systemworks and 'other things' from 2001-2006.

I never even used my 2004,2005 that I paid for. (if using older computer often demands too many resources)

I think it was 2003 they started a new system to assure 1 user/1 computer.

Of recent it seems they support their products for about a year and after that TOUGH LUCK.

Yes...everybody is familiar with 365 day virus products.

============= but utility parts of the software ????

Does it quit working in a year?

Things like GO-BACK and other utility programs that come with Systemworks.

I just bought Norton GHOST Version 9. (from a retail store.... clearance price)

I might get to using it a year from now. It's not supported anymore ????

BUT DOES IT STILL WORK ???? I can understand no new update patches,etc. but does the basic program quit working???????????????????

I can't ask Norton/Symantec. They don't support things beyond a year or so..... :thumbsup:

Mod Edit - Took out some of the spacing. It was hard to read. ~Joshuacat

Edited by Joshuacat, 15 November 2005 - 09:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:14 AM

Quite frankly I moved away from Norton and MacAfee several years ago. The became resource hogs. I run somewhat older machine (P-III's). I moved all my computers to all freeware. I have provided a list.

Antivirus
AVG Free Edition Antivirus(I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta
Spybot
AdAware SE Personal Edition
Ewido Security Suite - 14 day trial
A Squared Free

Utility
cCleaner
Everest home(hardware information and diagnostics)

Firewalls
Sygate 5.4(I personally use)
Zone Alarm

Best of all... they are free. There are hundreds of freeware programs that will do what the paid programs do.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:39 AM

The basic programs will continue to work - it's just the autoupdates (and in some cases the manual updates also) that won't work.

As acklan has done, I've moved away from Norton/Symantec products also. There are lot's of good, free alternatives out there that will do the same job for you. And, they'll take less of your system resources to do that same job. All in all, it's a win-win situation for freeware security products.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users