Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP printer program having a conflict with IE 8

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ColoradoHermit

ColoradoHermit

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:52 PM

Hi Y'all
I'm trying to help my sister get her laptop straitened out after it had to have a new hard drive put in. It's a 5 or 6 yr old Toshiba running windows XP and a HP Photosmart C6380 printer. It was all working fine before she dropped her laptop pooching the hard drive. Now every time Internet Explorer 8 is opened it gives a big warning box saying something like;
H P Printer add-on for printing web pages from Internet Explorer 8 has been blocked. If you want HP add-on enabled it can cause Internet Explorer 8 to freeze or crash. Do you want to leave add-on disabled or do you want to enable the add-on"
That's not exactly what it says but as close as I can remember. Before having to replace the hard drive it was using IE 7 and everything worked fine. The shop that replaced the hard drive upgraded it and installed IE 8, so now the problem. If I could get rid of IE 8 and go back to IE 7 I would. I've tried to find a patch for it on the HP web site and the Explorer help but haven't been able to find anything on it.
The warning also has a link in it for help. That called for a couple of updates to be installed but it didn't make any difference. After installing the updates, I think they said they were for something called something frames, or something like that. Any who, installed them and restarted the laptop and it didn't make any difference.
Anybody have any idea of what I should do with it? Should I tell it to go ahead and enable the add-on and not show the warning again? Or should I leave the add-on disabled? If it's disabled and she cant print from a web page its going to really bum out my sister. She uses it a lot for printing bank statements and other things like that from Internet Explorer.
Any assistance with this will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:33 PM

You can go back to Internet Explorer 7 if you wish, here's how.

First you need to close all programs.

Start> Control Panel> click on Uninstall a Program under the Programs category.

In the Tasks pane click on View installed updates.

Look in list of installed updates for Windows Internet Explorer 8 and double click on it. Then click on Yes in the dialog box.

You may be asked for you administrator password at this point, type in the password and continue. If you don't have a password assigned press Enter on the keyboard. Now just follow the instructions to uninstall IE8.

When this is done restart your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users