Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Encoding H.264, MKV to AVI questions

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PixarIsWin

PixarIsWin

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:52 PM

so what I want to do is encode my .mkv video files into .avi format for my mp4 player

the mkv files are anime shows (in japanese with english subtitles) many of which are soft subbed

the problem is with the subtitles ;(

I tried using SUPER to encode the videos into avi, the video/audio was fine, but the subtitles turned out horrible

the fonts/ size/ color/ positioning was all incorrect

are there any programs or procedures that can handle this conversion correctly (with minimal loss of video/audio/subtitle quality)?

here is an example of the original .mkv playing (positioning, size, and font of subtitles are very important in this situation):
Posted Image

MS paint is bugging out on me, but I'll try to post an example of what the SUPER encoded version looked like

thx in advance guys ^.^

Edited by PixarIsWin, 05 October 2010 - 05:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:38 PM

Try MediaCoder: http://www.mediacoderhq.com/

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 PixarIsWin

PixarIsWin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:52 PM

After some research, I found this method

Process

Run MKVExtractGUI, choose the MKV file, it will scan for the 'parts' that create it. Put a checkmark on the items you want extracted which should be minimum of the Video file (probably .h264 file), Audio file (probably .AAC, or .AC3), as well as subs (choose .SSA/.ASS if possible, if not, the .SRT file). Extract them, and you should have a minimum of 3 separate files. (Anime-Title.h264, Anime-Title.aac, and Anime-Title.ass).

Next convert the .h264 file into an avi file with avc2avi. However, first find out the framerate of your .h264 file or original MKV file. VLC Player can do this by going into View > Stream and Media Info should be under "Stream 0" (most likely).

Next use the audio converter to convert the AAC (or AC3) file into a MP3. I suggest the Eufony software for AAC files, but there's probably somethign out there that can also support AC3 and other audio.

Open up VirtualDub, File > open video file, and choose the .avi file you converted from the .h264. Next under Video, make sure its set to Full processing mode (a little dot next to it), then go under Video > Compression, and choose Xvid MPEG-4 codec. It should be there if you installed the Xvid codec properly.

Next to add subtitles, go under Video > Filters, click on Add, scroll down to TextSub and load the .ASS/.SSA subtitle file from before.

Next to add the audio, go under Audio > audio from other file, and choose the .mp3 file you converted. It should be set to Direct Stream Copy and *not* Full processing mode.

Finally, go to File > Save as AVI, and save the file! The resulting file should be one that's able to be played for the XBox 360 and other media devices.

the problem is, the audio/subtitles/video are not in sync at all

does anyone have experience/advice when it comes to muxing?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:05 PM

Have you tried MediaCoder yet?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 PixarIsWin

PixarIsWin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:41 PM

unfortunately, mediacoder does not support AC3 audio, which is what most of the videos use ;/

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:04 PM

In that case, I can only suggest a converter, which I use and which works well, but it's not free: http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video/

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 PixarIsWin

PixarIsWin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:48 PM

lil desynced and not freeware ;(, and the font looks like a smaller version of SUPER's

thanks anyways

#8 Hawkes

Hawkes

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:37 PM

Here's another piece of software that isn't free, but I found it to be well worth the cost...

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

There is a trial that gives you a watermark, but should help you determine if it will work for what you want it to do.

-Hawkes
-Hawkes

#9 higuy

higuy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:56 AM

You should try AVIDemux,

Home page of AVIDemux

#10 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:07 AM

You can customise the fonts and so forth on the subtitles with convertx to dvd vso software.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#11 benpak

benpak

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

Try this Video Converter Pro to convert MKV to AVI video format.

http://www.program4pc.com/support/video-converter/how-to-convert-mkv-to-avi.html

It supports various video formats and also able to convert video to portable devices including mobile phones, tablets etc. There are very editing tools are available to enhance and edit video.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users