Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost.exe hogs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 amaadg

amaadg

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:28 PM

Not often, but when my computer stops working I go to Windows Task Manager and there is 100% CPU usage by a svchost.exe Process that when killed immediately corrects the problem. I can tell which one, as often it is 180K or more memory usage.

Is there a simple way for dummies to know which process is causing that and kill it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:06 PM

You can try to use the Process Explorer tool, Process Explorer - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx.

Louis

EDIT: How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/list-services-running-under-svchost.exe-process/

Edited by hamluis, 06 October 2010 - 11:49 AM.

#3 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:19 AM

SVCHOST.EXE problems can be difficult to isolate. You can also go into Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services and go through each service that is listed as "Started" while you are experiencing these symptoms. Double click each entry and click "Stop" while watching the CPU monitor. If the symptom stops, you have found the service causing the issue. If not, click "Start" and move to the next one.

#4 amaadg

amaadg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:25 PM

Thank you both! Will try these methods to run it down. To see what I mean I am including a jpg showing the problem before I kill it.

Is is safe to kill any svchost.exp using this much memory -- as so far I see no complications doing it many times?

Attached Files

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:38 PM

AVG Could be causing your processor to spike especially when trying to scan large files such as compressed images like an ISO or Zipped file, since the virus scanner has to open the file and scan the contents.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:59 PM

If I were you, I'd travel to "Am I Infected?" forum.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 amaadg

amaadg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:56 PM

The process that is hogging close to 100 % of my XP CPU usage is getting worse. See: jpg screen cap below.

If I kill the svchost.exe with all the CPU usage, it immediately clears up. Then with my Browser killed, I tried the following:

With nothing running other than 'Process Explorer', that I started since killing the Browser, then I (just now) went to Start - Run - Cmd - netstat, and it showed 117 TCP items most of which were 'Established' -- then I used Process Explorer to kill the huge svchost.exp and typed in netstat again. The Process Explorer then showed almost zero CPU usage, and the netstat returned only -- one -- TCP - User - 'localhost#'. I always know which svchost.exe to kill as it shows the huge CPU usage.

Another time with high CPU usage, I went to the Control Panel - Administration Tools - Services and found that I can turn each list item off in the list -- that exactly matches Process Explorer for the svchost.exe usage -- off, one at a time, for a few seconds, then turn it back on -- and after going through the entire list, the CPU usage goes to zero -- but very strangely the huge size of the svchost.exe is still shows huge -- but without CPU usage, even though the CPU usage goes away with the file size huge. When I 'stop' one in the Services section, Process Explorer removes it from its list and it comes back when I restart it in Services.

Earlier I used 4 spyware programs and Spybot S$D found only one item which was a Browser Double Click Virus. But all this happened after I removed that virus.

1.) any recommendations?

2.) Is it harmful to kill these huge Svchost.exe files?

Many thanks!

Attached Files

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:00 AM

Can you not kill the svchost file and then do the netstat with the following: netstat -ano >> c:\netstat.txt and copy the contents of the new file and paste it here.

#9 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:05 PM

In your image it tells you which services are running under that instance of svchost.exe. Go Start -> Run and type services.msc.

Stop each one of the services in your list one at a time and restart it, and see which one is causing the slow downs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users