Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Faulty Touch pad (Dell Inspiron 6400)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Struanmcd

Struanmcd

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:12 PM

Hello,

For the last few months, my computer has been subject to an irritating hardware fault. The touch pad seems to be failing, which means the mouse clicks itself between every 1 - 5 seconds. This makes it extremely difficult to navigate a web page, type anything into a dialogue box, or do pretty much anything on that computer. The computer is a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop with Windows Vista. What is really confusing with the problem is that any mouse I plug in acts in a similar fashion. I am unsure whether it is some mouse driver/ software problems, or if it is a hardware problem.

The problem started in May 2010 and I discussed the possibility of it being a virus with a really helpful member called Myrti. She concluded it was not a virus and I should have a look on the hardware forums for additional help. The problem will start as soon as the desktop appears, and will persist whether the computer is connected to the internet or not.

Other details which may help:

-- The laptop is running off the mains, the battery died a while ago
-- I do not use the laptop often due to the problem, I would use it a lot more if it worked
-- I use internet explorer
-- I have opened the computer in the past after the problem initially occurred. I removed all the dirt under the touch pad but the problem persists
-- I have reinstalled Windows, but the problem persists
-- I have plugged in a ball mouse, and a laser mouse, but both act in the same way the touch pad does.

Thank you to whoever answers this, it would be a real live-saver

Struanmcd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:14 PM

That is a perplexing problem, sounds like its possible something on your motherboard is going out. Im assuming both the aftermarket mice you tried are USB??

Edited by the_patriot09, 06 October 2010 - 10:15 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:32 AM

Maybe try updating the touch pad drivers. Here is the link to the driver update: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...p;fileid=188272

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 Struanmcd

Struanmcd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:18 AM

the_patriot09 - Both mice I used were USB, not the older circular jack types. If the motherboard is going out, is it possible to get somebody to fix it? Or is it a case that I'll need to replace it?

killerx525 - I will check that out, thank you for sending me the link...

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:12 PM

eeeh its feasible to replace the board, however, not practical, your only 2 options would be to order one from the manufacturer, who may not make it anymore, or find a used one off of ebay-which may or may not work, as laptop motherboards are custom fit for each specific model laptop. I would, like killerx suggested, uninstall and reinstall the drivers for the touch pad, as well as uninstall and reinstall the USB drivers as well. Tell me, do any other USB devices give you any problems?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 Struanmcd

Struanmcd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:25 PM

I've downloaded the driver you suggested and it didn't fix the problem, it just helped me deal with it. When I installed it and rebooted the PC, the Synaptics Pointing Device icon in the tray appeared. (I hadn't seen it since I installed vista). I had a look around and it brought up the device details. Curiously enough, the interface was telling me that I was holding down the left keypad button, which I wasn't.

I've set the device so that the buttons are turned off but the touchpad is. There is also an option to turn off the touchpad entirely when you attach a USB pointing device. The reason why the mouse was acting similar to the touchpad when I inserted it was because the touchpad and buttons had not been disabled. So at the moment, I'm having to deal with just using the touchpad by tapping it, and I have designated the top left corner of the touchpad to be the right click, when I hit it.

I know that it is the left touchpad button, not the driver or motherboard, everything is fine, apart from scrolling pages when I need to drag the mouse.
Is there a way I can fix this button?

Thank you,

Struanmcd

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:34 PM

Not exactly sure, but maybe take out the left touchpad button and put it back in again.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:47 AM

if you go that method, make sure you clean it out. So if you disable the touchpad and buttons, will an external keyboard/mouse work?

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users