Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hoping one day to own my own server for my community site and other things

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:09 PM

Hi guys,
One day, maybe not right now, notnext year, but some day, after my enthusiasm gets me more into the networking world, it is my dream, since my site is such a tightly and close knit community of users, for me to host the site one day with an FTP server for me and my friends. I'm looking up different servers for when the time comes. I don't know which server is good for this type of thing. I've got a tossup between three; the dell Poweredge SC440, which I know is a great server for home office environments, the Fujitsu Primergy TX120 Server, which is another one I've known to be optimal for my purposes, or the Dell Poweredge T310. Which one do you think is best for self-hosting of a web site and maybe a few editional things? I've talked to a few contacts who have their own sites hosted by themselves, and they say that my dream is a good one, and that it's not that difficult. And with Microsoft Certifications coming up in my future, I don't think that owning my own server's out of the question either. Any feedback on this would be great. And just to let you folks know, I am currently with I7Media, and I'm happy with comercial hosting for now, but since I have the administrators touch in me even now, don't you think that it would be cool for me to feel every part of the administration? I've looked up the pros and cons of hosting one's own site extensively, and I see more pros than cons once i'm ready to take it on. Thanks folks.

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thejestre

thejestre

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:22 PM

Hi guys,
One day, maybe not right now, notnext year, but some day, after my enthusiasm gets me more into the networking world, it is my dream, since my site is such a tightly and close knit community of users, for me to host the site one day with an FTP server for me and my friends.

How large a community of users are you talking about, and are they all geographically located close together or spread out over the world?

Chances are, you can probably realize your dream now if you have an extra computer lying around. Just put some flavor of Linux on an old P4 computer and you'd be ready to go in about a week [will probably take some tweaking to get everything right]. Ubuntu is a good Linux distro. to start with. This is a great way to learn with little to no cost. This would probably work just fine for a small to medium user community with a close geographic proximity.

If you host it yourself I think the bottleneck will be the Internet connection, since most residential ISPs severely limit upload speeds. How much does an Internet connection with a high upload speed cost in your area? In my area a plan with an upload speed of only 1 Mbps cost $90. You could rent a nice server for that monthly price. $50 can get you a 10 Mbit connection on a rented server with 2 GB RAM and 500 GB HDD.

IMO you probably could just rent a VPS instead of a whole server.

Hope this helps,

_theJestre

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:46 PM

Well, thanks for the input, but I'd feel more comfortable with Windows Server standard edition. I can't realize my dream just yet since the internet service at my house is not in my hands, and Verizon blocks all of the standard ports anyway accept 21. And not to mention, all of my favorite Server software, (Blackmoon FTP Server, HMailServer), are all for windows. And besides, I have dreamspark, therefore Windows Server's free for me for now. And not to mention, that is one of the Raeder24 things as well. We represent windows. So if my site's already on windows, why change it? That's why I pick windows. And not only is my dream to run a web site, but I ask about an actual server since those dell servers aren't much in cost (about $219 at lowest), so why not rock with Xeon 3400 someday? And not to mention, I see these guys on youtube sporting their nice looking big-old tower servers, so why can't that be me? And by the way, my site's at the bottom of my signature. Check us out if you want.

Thanks a lot,
Chromebuster

#4 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:05 PM

I know this topic hasn't seen much action, but I'm still curious what you think. knowing that I've decided on Windows in or out, what would be your recommendation? And not to mention, I've got to worry about the corporate antivirus software in the future when I do this. What about that? Because I do know that normal workstation security software can't run on server operating systems. Thanks again for any help.

#5 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:33 PM

There is another server now added to the list. Two actually. The Dell PowerEdge 2900 (as a tower formfactor), or the PowerEdge T110. I've heard that these are good too. if anyone has had experience with any of these servers, I'd really appreciate some input.

Thanks,
Chromebuster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users