Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading From Win 95 To 98 Or Me

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 binkyj1101

binkyj1101

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:10 PM

Hi i am wanting to upgrade my version of win 95 to 98 or me. Win 95 cant be use with alot of programs so i am wanting to upgrade. I saw on ebay they have the disks on there for the complete system or to upgrade to a higher version. . What do i need to get?? I do not have any disks for the computer i have now and i am wondering if i upgrade to 98 or me will i lose any software for my components like my modem or sound card. I do not care bout my documents on here i just want to get a higher version of windows and have internet explorer! Thats all i need...so if anyone has any info please let me know THANKS!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:28 PM

Hello binkyj1101 and welcome to BC.

In order to use an upgrade version you need to have a previous Windows version on disk to allow the upgrade to install. So an upgrade version is not an option if you don't have a 95 disk. You will need to buy a full version of 98 or ME. Many people find 98 to be a more stable operating system also, with more drivers built in than ME.

Its best to find the drivers for your modem and have them ready so when you install the new operating system you will be able to access the internet for any other drivers you will need, in case your new OS doesn't have the drivers built in.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 binkyj1101

binkyj1101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:42 PM

how do i find the drivers for my modem?? I got this computer used from someone and i dont have any disks.

Hello binkyj1101 and welcome to BC.

In order to use an upgrade version you need to have a previous Windows version on disk to allow the upgrade to install. So an upgrade version is not an option if you don't have a 95 disk. You will need to buy a full version of 98 or ME. Many people find 98 to be a more stable operating system also, with more drivers built in than ME.

Its best to find the drivers for your modem and have them ready so when you install the new operating system you will be able to access the internet for any other drivers you will need, in case your new OS doesn't have the drivers built in.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:58 PM

Well, I'm trying to remember Windows 95 but I think you go to Start>Settings>Control Panel and then double click System. Look for Modem and click the + next to it. This will show your Modem type. Post that back here and we will help you find the driver you need.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 binkyj1101

binkyj1101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2005 - 07:18 PM

the modem is a tele path for windows with x2

Well, I'm trying to remember Windows 95 but I think you go to Start>Settings>Control Panel and then double click System. Look for Modem and click the + next to it. This will show your Modem type. Post that back here and we will help you find the driver you need.

#6 rhamton

rhamton

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2005 - 07:35 PM

To find information on the guts of your computer, meaning the hardware and software download Belarc Advisor

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

It will tell the information you need, Runs on Windows 95/98/Me, NT 4, Windows 2000, XP and Windows Server 2003.

The Belarc Advisor builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, including Microsoft Hotfixes, and displays the results in your Web browser. All of your PC profile information is kept private on your PC and is not sent to any web server.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2005 - 07:59 PM

This would seem to be a Gateway computer. A search of the Gateway site comes up with a number of drivers you can find here.

You can download all the 98 drivers (I don't see any for ME) and save them to a floppy disks or burn them to a CD just to cover all the bases. Under the Driver link you will see "Supports: Windows 98, Windows 95" and the ones that show 98 are the ones to get, both for a 33.6K modem and a 56K modem as you may have either. Then, if 98 doesn't install the driver itself you will have them.

At the bottom of that page you will see V90 upgrades and you will likely need one of the first three, but which one? Using the wrong one could be disastrous as these are a type of firmware flash that can't be reversed. Also on that page is " Scan Your PC, Use Gateway Update to locate the latest drivers automatically", but unfortunately it won't work with 95 so don't try it.

You might get lucky in identifying the modem more exactly by using Belarc as rhamton says. If you try that post back with the results.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 16 November 2005 - 12:32 AM

If you have to do a full install, I would recommend you install Windows 2000 pro. It will not be that more expensive and far more stable and reliable. It has the windows 98 interface with the security of XP (Well almost). And unlike 98 and ME it was supported up unti this year.
Just my opinion.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 binkyj1101

binkyj1101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:18 PM

Ok i decided im gonna get win 98, i found the info for my computer on gateways website and for my modem and sound card they need win 98 or 95, so i am just going to get win 98. I was looking on ebay and there are a few of the win 98 on there. alot of them were like 80 or 90 dollars. but i found 1 that is 24 dollars but ends in 7 hours and i cant get it that soon. Does anyone know where i can get win 98 full version for under 80 bucks? Or does anyone have win 98 that they can sell to me? Or ANYTHING??? I dont want to pay 80 or 90 bucks for win 98, im sure i will find another win 98 on ebay for cheaper than 80 but i dont know how soon! Please help! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users