Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update fails, browers redirects

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_R

Mike_R

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:01 PM

Similiar situation as on other posts. Windows Update fails, IE shows 'IE cannot display the webpage'. Firefox shows 'connection to server reset'.
Eset nod32 installed, updated, scanned computer with not results. Have run Hijackthis, Defogger, DDS and RKunhooked and saved logs.
Have edited the hosts file, there were other entries in there. Last week discovered that the wireless router had been hacked, and unknown DNS entries added, so I changed those. Have set the DNS entries in network settings on this machine. There are three other machines running XP on this little network, all connected to the same router. I've spent 12 hours on this &^^%$& thing so far, and can't seem to fix it. I've learned a lot, but have reached the end of my rope. Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_R

Mike_R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:15 PM

This poor box had a rootkit installed, and I'm not going forward with an attempted repair. I will either format the drive and reinstall XP, or just get a newer and faster machine.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:21 PM

As this issue appears to be resolved I am closing the topic. Please send me (or any other Moderator) a Personal Message (PM) if you would like the topic re-opened.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users