Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD on startup after registry analyzing?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Goldseemon

Goldseemon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:07 PM

Recently my computer had been affected by some adware and i was trying to fix it. Then i using "CleanMyPC" registry cleaner to scan and fix all the errors or problems found. Then, i tried going to the "Analyze Registry" part, and i tried analyzing it.. then it tells me something like... my registry size is 100000KB, and the size after compressed (or something similar? ) will be 40000KB, save 60% ... something like that..... then it says my computer must be restarted for the changes to take effect or something... so i clicked ok, and the computer force itself into auto-restarting....

But then after restarting the computer, my computer just went into BSOD, and immediately auto restart again.... i tried using Startup Repair, recommended by the windows itself, but it says it couldn't identify the problem..... then I tried going into SafeMode, and the thing just wouldn't enter windows, and auto restart all the time.... Need serious help here.. All my working files are in desktop (C drives) and i have no backup copy anywhere else...

I even tried inserting my Windows Installation CD, let it run into the installation window part, then i click on "Fix my computer" or something, and i tried using System Restore, but it says something like "system protection must be enabled" in order to perform System Restore.. i don't know what's going on now... i am aware that SystemRestore can be performed, coz i've performed it a few times before this.. i just don't know why it doesn't allow me to use SystemRestore in this way.....

Need serious help and urgent here...!

Thanks alot.... :'(

Edit:
Just wondering... can i re-install system files in the drives where i installed my windows previously? Will all the windows files be replaced with the new one from my installation disc? Can this problem be solved in such way...? =(

Edited by Goldseemon, 05 October 2010 - 12:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:53 PM

Hi oldseemon, and Welcome to BleepingComputer.

For instructions on enabling the System Protection go here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:55 PM

Recently my computer had been affected by some adware and i was trying to fix it. Then i using "CleanMyPC"

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

XP Fixes Myth #1: Registry Cleaners

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:47 PM

Is this the "Clean My PC" as advertised on television.

My suggestion regarding those and any such advertised sites is to not use them.

#5 Goldseemon

Goldseemon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:46 PM

@dc3

Thanks...but... i coudln't enter windows now... there's no way for me to enable the protection as of now... =(

@cryptodan

Yes i understand that now... thanks for the info...

@ThunderZ
guess so.... but the problem is that i've used them.... =( is there any way to revert it back or to solve it?

(i think i had backup my registry files previously..last week i think, some files of extension .cab... is there any ways for me to perform registry restore using these backup files? considering that i couldn't enter windows now, even in my safe mode..

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:51 PM

Would you please post the make and model of this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users