Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Will Not Start

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 GrymReaper

GrymReaper

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:59 AM

Hi AGAIN, I'm back :thumbsup:

Last week I purchased a new Video Card (EVGA GeForce GTX 460) and thus needed a new PSU (Corsair TX750). Everything has been going fine, PC is/was running great.

So today while I am working, all of a sudden the PC power shuts down. Not the Windows shut down, but like a instant cold power off. This actually happened a few days ago, and I thought I may have hit the power surge switch with the edge of my foot so I thought nothing of it. Today, when it happened again, I knew something was up.

My first thought was that the 750 was dead, even though it was only a week old. So, I unplugged everything except the 24pin to see if the PC would stay on. Light on the board is green. Turn on power, nothing. One second of my fans and PSU fans spinning, then it tries to start again. This happened over and over until I decided to unplug and power off everything.

I took my older 550W PSU and put it in the rig. Plugged the 24 pin in, and same thing. Cycles for a few seconds and then nothing. I unplugged all the fans, SATAs, video card, etc to where it was just the PSU and the board. Still nothing. Only green light on the board and 1 sec of spinning fans

So...I can safely say its not the PSU (even changed the power cord, unplugged from power surge, and plugged into different electirical socket). So I "THINK" the only other two solutoins would be the Mobo or the CPU. Either way I have no clue how to determine which one it could be and kinda upset that something from the new PSU or GPU could have done it. My third random thought is that the power switch is shorting out???

Computer Hardware and O/S
Motherboard: ASUS P5K-e
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi)
CASE: Antec 900
WinXP(32bit)

If we think the Mobo is dead (My new #1 thought) any suggesions to work on the specs above.

As always,
Thanks in advance,
Chris

Edited by GrymReaper, 05 October 2010 - 12:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:16 PM

Hi,

I hate to say it but it there might be a good chance your M.B. got shocked.

I will check all the capacitors on the M.B. to see if any of them have "popped"

I doubt the processor got damaged. Other than that I would think that there is a hardware that is causing a short circuit.
Or the M.B. is Grounding itself to the frame....

The best thing to do is to take it all apart and check all the hardware. To make sure they are not grounding themselves.

Good-luck

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:19 PM

Actually the power switch does create a short, but this is by design. The switch is a momentary switch. This is the type of switch that is used on some doorbells, as long as you push and hold the button the doorbell rings. The motherboard uses the switch to short two wires in the 20/24 pin PSU connector to start the PSU.

My first thought is that in the process of making the installation you dislodged something. I would go back and make sure that all of the PSU connections are good, makes sure all cards including RAM are seated properly. Do you have any way of monitoring the temperatures? Specifically the CPU? If not, you can download SIW. When you go to install this, do not accept any offers for other software after clicking on the agreement to the terms. After the installation scroll down the left side column till you come to Sensors, click on this and it will have a reading for the CPU temperature, this is close enough to see if it's overheating.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 GrymReaper

GrymReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:35 PM

@Juicy - How do i check the capacitors? Is this just something visual?

@dc3 - Thanks for the info on the switch. I thought the switch shorted the wires, thus the ol' paperclip trick start. As far as the PSU connectors, like I said, I only put the 24pin in, and it still does it. So whether or not they all are plugged in or just power to the 24pin, it still happens. I removed the RAM (moved to different channels and back), I removed the GPU and still same problem.

During the installation of the PSU/GPU, I accidentally hit the heatsink/fan and that brought the temps up to 60. At 60 is where I have it set to yell at me before anything blows up. I keep monitors on my CPU and my GPU all the time so they never hit any critical temps. As far as the Mobo or CPU grounding itself, any typical or common things to look for?

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:44 PM

When you stated above you disconnected everything to see if the computer would stay on and only had the 24 pin connector connected to the motherboard, I have to ask if you kept the 12 Volt 4 PIN power connector from the PSU connected to the motherboard as well?

This 4 Pin connector has to be connected to the motherboard so power can go to the Processor.

Without this plug connected, the computer will not power up.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:47 PM

The fan that you hit, was this the one on the CPU?

If you dislodged it this could be causing a overheating situation.

Was there a four pin connector next to the CPU for power from the PSU? If so, did you plug it back in?

Edit: Bruce and I were thinking the same thing, only he posted faster than me.

Edited by dc3, 05 October 2010 - 02:48 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 GrymReaper

GrymReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:09 PM

I do not belive I have a 4-pin connector besides the one for the CPU fan. Is the the one you are referring to?

Otherwise the only other connector is the 12v 8pin that i know of.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:23 PM

I had to go take a look at that motherboard. Most CPU 12V connectors that I've seen are only four pin, yours is a eight pin. So... the question is, is it connected to the eight pin PUS connector?

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:01 PM

Ahhh, sorry about that, I over-looked the fact that some newer motherboards have that 8 pin 12 volt connector.

Just the same, make sure that 8 pin connector is plugged in.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 GrymReaper

GrymReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:03 PM

Yes it is plugged in, now I have the entire tower taken apart, trying to see what the h3ll is going on.......if i remove the heatsink and fan will i need to clean and apply new thermal grease?

Also, any other ideas?

My new guess is there is a short somewhere

Edited by GrymReaper, 05 October 2010 - 07:06 PM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:15 PM

Yes, you will need to clean the heat spreader on the CPU and the heat sink and reapply the thermal compound.

When you bumped the heat sink and fan on the CPU, did it move the heat sink at all?

Edited by dc3, 05 October 2010 - 07:24 PM.

#12 GrymReaper

GrymReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:32 PM

Yes, you will need to clean the heat spreader on the CPU and the heat sink and reapply the thermal compound.

When you bumped the heat sink and fan on the CPU, did it move the heat sink at all?

One of the pins came loose, and I did not realize this until my ASUS PC Probe told me the CPU Temp was high, I reset all the pins and ran in the mid 30s like normal. But I do not believe that the sink came off the CPU...could this be the issue?

Edited by GrymReaper, 05 October 2010 - 07:33 PM.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:45 PM

Well, what I was trying to find out is if you had dislodged the CPU, I was thinking that a pin had gotten broken off or bent so that it was out of the socket.

You still should reapply the thermal compound now.

Edited by dc3, 05 October 2010 - 07:46 PM.

#14 GrymReaper

GrymReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:18 PM

Ok so decided to take off the heat sink...Oddly enough the grease was not hard, but as everyone can see...I think I found out why this was shorted out.

Is it possible that when I knocked off the 1 pin for the heat sink and tried to put it back the metal hit something on the mobo and caused it to short out?

Now I do not see any damage on the mobo, and hopefully if I straighten out the bottom of the heat sink and install it back "correctly" with new grease, the shorting will stop? Could that be it, and prob will be better for me to just put it back and try it.....

..Now where did I put that grease???....ugh

Posted Image

Posted Image

Attached Files

#15 GrymReaper

GrymReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:27 AM

Update!!!

Took the Mobo out of the PC Case and tried to start in on a cardboard box. Still did not start power up for more than a second

So I did a few more things:

1 - Paperclip started the PSU - all good
2 - Took out RAM again - same problem with power up

3 - Took out CPU - WAIT A MINUTE...the machine kept spinning the fans....HRMMMM
4 - Cleaned off all the thermal grease, put CPU back in Mobo - Same power up issue.

So now its NOT the Heatsink hitting something but either the Mobo or the CPU......

I did notice something on the mobo, see attached pic: Note the dent or something on the housing for the CPU. So??? Could this really be the problem???
Posted Image

Here is the stock picture: Note all the pins appear to be ok in the housing.
Posted Image[/URL]

Edited by GrymReaper, 06 October 2010 - 08:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users