Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Third Party Screensavers

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jvmsl4

jvmsl4

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:56 AM

for some reason my computer will not run any third party .scr it will run them in preview but not on a scheduled time as 'properties' requires. I have xp media center sp3. 2.8gb memory, 2.8gb hd. I use za pro ( used comodo firewall and they wouldn't run with that program either. I exited the firewall program, disonnected the cable modem and they still will not run. Is this a indication of a bigger problem? can I somehow set the computer to run third party .scr. I don't remember when this happened as I was always running a windows .scr which ran fine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,735 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:45 AM

A screen saver is nothing but a program...do other programs run properly on your system?

Louis

#3 jvmsl4

jvmsl4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:04 PM

yes they do and I have never had this problem in the 14yrs I have had a computer so I have no idea how to deal with it.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,735 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:10 PM

Give me a link to one of these screensavers that don't run.

Uninstalling them, then reinstalling them should take care of it if they are valid screensavers.

Any problem today running Windows screensavers?

FWIW: It's far more important to have a firewall active...than it is to run a screensaver. There should be no logical connection between your firewall and screensavers, IMO.

Louis

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:17 PM

for some reason my computer will not run any third party .scr it will run them in preview but not on a scheduled time as 'properties' requires. I have xp media center sp3. 2.8gb memory, 2.8gb hd. I use za pro used comodo firewall and they wouldn't run with that program either.

That to me sends red flags off, and I would not trust the screen savers at that point in time.

#6 jvmsl4

jvmsl4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:29 AM

Only windows screensavers will run. I still have some of the third party .scr from last year and they ran fine last year. I was using comodo firewall up until yesterday and the one particular .scr that will not run comodo declared safe. What is happening is that I select the .scr in properties to run after 10 min and click apply. then when the .scr does not run I go back into properties and the .scr selection says 'none', instead of the .scr I selected. This happens on all third party .scr., but not windoes screensavers that came with the computer. The windows default .scr selections work fine

the link is www.themeworld.com. the file is autumnlv (find it from the search box)

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:45 AM

The file I got was an executable file.

#8 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:20 PM

It appears that many of the screen savers from themeworld come packaged in .exe installers. I assume this is to make it easier to add it to or remove it from your system. themeworld seems to be a distribution point, with external authors creating screen savers and uploading them. this means that themeworld probably doesnt have access to the source code for the screen saver in question and the file should not be trusted, especially if it is trying to connect to the internet when you run it.

#9 jvmsl4

jvmsl4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:45 PM

I get that and thanks for the reply. Since Comodo Firewall declared the file safe I assumed it was safe to run but again the reason windows will not run the screen saver and resets the selection in properties back to 'none' after I select a .scr is what I am trying to find out. I went from being able to run external .scr to not being able to at all.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:52 PM

Have a read here: Screen Saver May Not Start in Windows XP see if it pertains to you?

#11 jvmsl4

jvmsl4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:52 PM

It doesn't apply since I have the latest windows service pack, but assuming that the fix is the latest ver of sp if I try to reinstall sp3 will windows let me since I have updated my computer many times since I first downloaded sp 3?

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:08 PM

Try applying the hotfix again, and see if it resolves it.

#13 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:12 PM

You dont happen to have a Microsoft wireless mouse do you?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#14 jvmsl4

jvmsl4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:26 AM

I have a logitech wireless mouse and keyboard. I'm not sure if this issue was in effect before I went wireless

#15 jvmsl4

jvmsl4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:37 AM

by hotfix do you mean reinstall the complete sp3?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users