Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Print Spool Stopped

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 awh2112

awh2112

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:23 AM

It looks like I have encountered a well known problem with installing a new printer.
I uninstalled the software for my old Lexmark printer prior to installing software for my new Kodak printer.
The problem I have encountered is that print spool services have stopped and will not restart.
I had a long online chat with Kodak...and tried a number of things...
Print Spool Services did have a dependancy on LexBces.exe (which I deleted via REGEDIT) but they still won't start!
Does anyone have anything that I could try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:42 AM

Would you please describe what you see when you try to start the Print Spooler Service (I'm keeping a list).

The Print Spooler Service should have another dependency - Remote Procedure Call (RPC).

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

services.msc

Click OK to open the Service Applet.

Locate the Print Spooler Service, right click it, Choose Properties and then look at the Dependencies tab. The services listed there must be running before the Print Spooler will start. If they are not running, you will get an error 1068 or similar message about dependent services when trying to start the Print Spooler Service.

You should always see the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service and maybe some others depending on the type of printer you have installed (Lexmark printers can add some Dependency services to your XP configuration). All dependent services must be running before the Print Spooler Service will start.

The RPC service is necessary for a lot of things to work properly and is usually always running and set to Automatic start. If the RPC Service is not running and does not start Automatically, you may have another problem, but start with the easy stuff first.

From the Services Applet, locate the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service and if it is not running, right click it and start it and set it to Automatic.

Then locate and start any other Print Spooler dependency services listed in the Print Spooler Dependencies tab. Set the Startup type for any other Print Spooler dependency services to Automatic so they will start automatically the next time you reboot your system (if that is your desire).

When everything is running the way you want, reboot and check your Services again to be sure they start up properly and resolve any further
issues.

If the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is not listed as a dependency for your Print Spooler service, inform XP that the Print Spooler service depends on the RPC service.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter (including the important space after the equals sign):

sc config spooler depend= RPCSS

Don't forget the space after the equals (=) sign!

Click OK to assign the RPC service to the Print Spooler service, check the Print Spooler Dependencies again, be sure the RPC Service is running and start your Print Spooler Service.

Reboot to make sure any changes "stick".

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:05 AM

Thank you joseibarra from just a on looker. I learned a lot from your post.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:34 AM

Manually Removing Lexmark Printers and Drivers have a read through that, and before you proceed download ERUNT to make a backup of your registry just in case you mess something up.

#5 awh2112

awh2112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:58 AM

Thank you all....I will see how your suggestions work!

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:45 AM

No problemo.

We'll get that silly Print Spooler running...

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 awh2112

awh2112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:53 AM

Hi there....I did get my printer going in the end!
My computer finally allowed me to remove Print Spool's dependancy on LexBces.exe.
Many thanks for your comments!!!

Regards, AWH2112

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:25 AM

Which solution worked for you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic