Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU usage increases to max (while memory usage doesnt) when I run a application

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 t4324

t4324

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:34 AM

I have the following config
-> Windows XP Professional SP2 which I have been using for the last 3 years.
-> Updated Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 running for the last 1 year.
-> No new software were installed in the last month that I can recall of.

Suddenly I get this problem:
1. I ran an application one day (it was winrar), and nothing starts.
2. Task manager shows CPU usage as 50 (I have dual core), while memory usage remains at 84k
3. After a few days vlcplayer.exe started giving the same problem

-> So, I reinstalled windows (formatted my C drive and installed a fresh copy).
-> Everything worked fine. I was using Irfanview.exe with no problems, but then one day again, IrfanView.exe did not start. Same problem : CPU usage was 50% while memory remained really low.
-> I uninstalled it from C:/program files and installed a new copy in C:/program files --- this did not solve the problem
-> I uninstalled it again from C:/program files and installed to D:/ Now it works fine...
-> But now again I got the same problem with media player.exe

I have tried a virus scan with Kaspersky (updated) and a scan with spybot. They both came out to be clean.

Any ideas?
I cant reinstall Windows as that did not solve the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 t4324

t4324
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:38 AM

I dont know if this helps: I read somewhere about creating a drive image for easy backup. So I tried DriveImageXML, but it gave an error regarding CRC check which related to bad sectors i suppose. I ran a scan disk before installing a fresh copy of Windows. Obviously, this hasnt helped either. :thumbsup:

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,012 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:55 AM

Find who the manufacturer of the hdd is and go to their web site and download their diagnostic tool and run it. If there is a short test and long test, you will get more accurate results running the long test.

If you don't know the manufacturer of the hdd you can download SIW to find who the manufacturer is. When SIW opens scroll down to Storage Devices and click on it. The information will appear in the pane to the right of the index.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:27 AM

You should not be running Windows XP on Service Pack 2. You should be using Service Pack 3. Your computer is grossly neglected by not keeping it fully updated with the latest patches and service packs from Microsoft. I wonder how updated the rest of your system is?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,012 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:17 AM

Cryptodan is correct, you should have SP3. As of this last July Microsoft stopped all support for any computers running Windows XP without SP3. But before you install this, let's find out if you need to replace your hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users