Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installshield error number - can't find a thing about it!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MarcusW

MarcusW

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:59 AM

I recently seem to have developed a problem with my windows 7 (almost new) laptop (it was new when I got it), and that is that Installshield keeps giving me a riddlesome ominous message in a pop-up saying "error - number 5'. Anybody would think it was calling in a flaming boat, and it says for me to visit the installshield website for supposedly more information. I spend a long time on there not really finding anything out about 'error number 5'. So I thought I'd pass this challenge on to the more clever people - you lot - to see if I could get an answer to what it might actually mean, and what needs to be done to correct the problem.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:46 AM

Error 5 is a printer error.

If you don't have a default printer selected or no printer driver installed you will get this error. To resolve this go to Control Panel> Printers. Highlight your Printer and go to File on then Menu Bar and choosing 'Set as Default'.

Edit: The error 5 that I located is a printer 5 error. This is not applicable to the problem in this topic. Up too late.

Edited by dc3, 05 October 2010 - 10:03 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:15 AM

Error 5 is access denied. Make sure that you are logged into an account with administrative rights.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:12 AM

Cryptodan is correct, error 5 is a Windows error which in plain English means Access is Denied.

There is a solution for this, but it involves making a change in the registry. Making changes in the registry can be risky, if you make a mistake you can disable your computer. If you decide to try this solution I would suggest that you first back up your registry.

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT
  • Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERDNT.exe

The instructions for this registry change can be found here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 MarcusW

MarcusW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:56 AM

Cryptodan is correct, error 5 is a Windows error which in plain English means Access is Denied.

There is a solution for this, but it involves making a change in the registry. Making changes in the registry can be risky, if you make a mistake you can disable your computer. If you decide to try this solution I would suggest that you first back up your registry.

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT

• Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERDNT.exe

The instructions for this registry change can be found here.

Thanks for the information. Despite being comfortable with backing up the registry, I checked out the link you gave and there are numerous possibilities to fixing this issue. I hate to be cheeky or rude but would you please do me a huge favour and copy and paste the relevant solution so I can carry it out? Thanks again.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:09 AM

It is the second post in the topic that the link takes you to.

If this computer is still under warranty I would suggest dealing with this through the people that sold you this computer.

#7 MarcusW

MarcusW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:46 AM

Sorry about the delay, but thanks for the information. It worked. Thanks for taking the time to provide me with that much needed bit of assistance, I'm sorry I couldn't get to providing feedback on the issue earlier.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:06 AM

Sorry about the delay, but thanks for the information. It worked. Thanks for taking the time to provide me with that much needed bit of assistance, I'm sorry I couldn't get to providing feedback on the issue earlier.

Real life comes first, and glad your issue is resolved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users