Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick question about bookmarks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 snow scorpion

snow scorpion

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:53 PM

Does having lots of bookmarks slow down a browser?

I have literally hundreds of bookmarks in Firefox and it takes almost a full minute for Firefox to load.

On the same computer, I have less than 10 bookmarks in Opera and Opera loads almost instantly.

Is the mountain of bookmarks in Firefox responsible for the difference in loading time?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:58 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:24 AM

Bookmarks will not slow down your computer or browsing experience. What will is having lots of unnecessary programs and files on your computer. I suggest some general maintenance on your computer. Have you tried some of the basic yet?
Like a defrag, cleaning up temporary internet files, checking your hard disks for errors. Removing unnecessary programs.
Yes we do need specifications, but you can perform those things anytime.

Edited by ice2921, 06 October 2010 - 06:01 AM.

#4 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:27 AM

There are a number of things that can slow down(increase) Firefox's load times: to many installed add-ons, extensions/themes, and mis-behaving plug-ins. There may be 2 or more extensions in conflict or an extension in conflict with a particular theme in use.

As well as the previous suggestions by cryptodan and ice2921, MozillaZine's Standard diagnostic for Firefox is a good place to start when trying to diagnose problems with Firefox.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:51 PM

...and generaly, Opera is a faster starter, than Firefox.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:43 PM

Yeah, Opera is pretty quick loading, Firefox takes forever to start, in my experience.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:52 PM

FF can be a bit slow to launch in comparison to other browsers. Browsers choice really comes down to an user`s individuals preferences.
I have tried just about every major one out there, even a few lesser known one`s. Always came back to FF as my personal choice.

If you have a lot of add-on`s it may slow FF launching down.
One thing that may help some is cleaning up FF`s data base`s. These are known as sqlite(s).

I have had success with this little add-on. There are others that do pretty much the same thing.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/13860/

Edited by ThunderZ, 06 October 2010 - 01:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users