Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem during/after printer installation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 harryspotterJR

harryspotterJR

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:52 PM

I was in the process of installing an old printer... when it seemed to fail in the middle. It gave me one of those Data Execution Protection messages and restarted the computer. Since then, every time I restart computer, DEP gives me a message that it has :stopped: the Services and Controller App... but now the computer seems to be running "OK" (minus the printer, which, while installed, does not work). I am hesitant to start screwing around with things/uninstall printer, etc. until I understand the meaning behind this...

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

harrySpotterJR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:57 PM

What kind printer is it?

#3 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:10 PM

Is this Windows XP you are using? DEP is not enabled by default for program execution in Windows XP. Did it ask for confirmation for an unsigned driver? If so, and you are installing from a known good source for the driver, like a CDRom built for Windows XP or downloading the recomended driver from the manufacturer's support site, you can safely click continue.

#4 harryspotterJR

harryspotterJR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:31 PM

It is an HP Photosmart D5063 printer, Win XP Pro... and I downloaded the driver from the HP website...

While I am less concerned about being able to click continue... first, there is now this annoying message every time I reboot...and what does it mean that DEP has stopped the the services and control app? What is that app? Does it affect other things on the computer? Can I do something to un-install an unsuccessfully installed printer? etc., etc.

Thanks!!!

Edited by harryspotterJR, 05 October 2010 - 11:32 PM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:22 AM

You can try doing this: Revo Uninstaller

#6 ectech1

ectech1

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:30 AM

How to check DEP settings in XP..

1) Click the start menu > right click My Computer > select properties
2) Click the Advanced tab > under Performance click Settings
3) Click the Data Execution Prevention tab

By default, Windows is set to "Turn on DEP for essential Windows Programs and services only"

Ensure this settings checked, otherwise enable it. Apply the settings if needed and reboot the machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users