Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

connecting a laptop to 2 networks

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Tad Bear

Tad Bear

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:05 PM

Hi my apolgies if I have already posted this (I forgot to bookmark it and then when I went back to do so couldn't find it -later saw ""My topics"" and it wasn't there)

What I trying to accomplish is: To have my laptop connect to either my home network or use a second wireless router and connect wirelessly to my usb modem).

I currently have a laptop using windows 7 home premium wirelessly networked to my desktop (wired to wireless router) running windows xp (sp3). - This was set up by a freind who is not available to help me in my current situation.

Due to health reasons I have to lay down 16 to 20 hours per day. Where my daybed is located I get intermittant connection to my virgin usb modem. At my desktop I would need to sit(which is a major problem).

Can I buy a second wireless router and plug my usb modem into it, and place it in a place in my house which has the best reception, then wireless connect to it with my laptop?

Is this the best way to do it?
Would this work? ie Look on my taskbar for connections and choose either desktop dodo network or virgin usb modem?
Is this a second network?
If this is possible what is the best wireless router to purchase?

ps I don't need to wirelessly connect my dektop to virgin usb modem (I could just plug it in, as I have trouble sitting over 20 minutes, this is not really an option)

As I am a novice user I would appreciate that any answers also including "how to do it"

Regards Tad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wired68

Wired68

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:47 AM

Hi Tad,

Does your desktop already have internet access through a standard broadband connection such as DSL or Cable, or is your UBS mobile broadband card your only source to access the internet? If you must use the USB card, is your reception good enough from your desktop pc when the card is connected to it?

If you already have a wireless network working between the laptop and the desktop and the USB broadband card works fine from the desktop, you can share that connection on the desktop and use your desktop PC as your internet gateway on the laptop. One way you should be able to fairly easily make this work is with the "Internet Connection Sharing" feature within Windows XP under the broadband device in Network Connections.

Let me know if this is what you meant and if you have any other questions.

#3 Tad Bear

Tad Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:06 PM

Hi wireless68, Thanks for the advice

I currently have 2 internet connections.

The first is a dsl connection to my desktop. This is the dodo connection. This connection is wired through a a wireless router to the desktop (xp machine) and wirelessly to the laptop (windows 7 machine).

The second is a virgin mobile usb 3g modem that can be used on either the desktop or laptop.

What I want to do is to be able to use both of these internet connections on both machines.:

With the desktop, I'm happy to use both of these connections by physically connecting to the desktop.

For the laptop I want the following:

. Dodo connection wirelessly (already working)
. Virgin Mobile usb modem direct physical access to the laptop for when I use the laptop outside my house.
. Virgin Modem Usb wirelessly to my laptop

It is the last of these I an trying to accomplish.

The Virgin USB Modem is also intermittant at the desktop. I have been advised by Virgin to do one of 2 things :
. continually disconnect and reconnect (not very satisfactory) and/or
. go into tools options network and change the network connection type and band.

This is the reason I thought that a new Wireless Modem was the answer.

Having read through the paper on "Internet Connection Sharing" I was worried that always dial a connection would apply to all ISP connection (obviously I don't want this setting for the dodo dsl connection) - this is probably wrong?, I was also not clear on how to connect the laptop (öther client computer") using windows 7. it says to go to the LAN connection (I'm not sure if this is the Virgin USB - which is really a dial up 3G connecton).

I don't want to use one connection to the exclusion of the other.
Being a novice I don't want to set up the virgin usb modem wirelessly only to find that I cant use my dodo isp connection.

I hope this clears up what my situation is, and what I'm trying to accomplish.

Regards Tad

#4 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:35 PM

You may want to check out something like this: http://www.cradlepoint.com/products/mbr900...adband-n-router then just change networks on either PC depending if you want the DSL or the 3G/4G.

Make sure your specific model of USB adapter supports cradlepoint, though.

#5 Tad Bear

Tad Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for the suggestion NpaMA, my hawaei E1762 modem is not supported by the router you suggested (even though it is a virgin usb modem [that I have freed] it uses the optus network), I have just looked at the Netgear 3G Broadband Wireless Router MBR624GU and it seems to do the same job.

I'm still not sure though whether I can have 2 wireless routers sending a signal to my laptop and me being able to connect to either by clicking
the network connections available icon on my taskbar.

ps I am at this moment connected by wifi at my public library (absolutely fabulous - but can't sit for long - I just wanted to try it out.
Am I actually doing what I want to acheive at home now?

By using such a wireless router am I really setting up a wireless hotspot? which I can limit access to via WPA2 security? and i think it uses some sort of VPN (which is another area that I know noyhing about).

Regards Tad

#6 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:41 PM

Wireless networks are not "synced" to computers directly, so yes adding a second router will make it so that you can choose which network you want.

You will need to get a special type(like the one I linked to(if there's a supported version) or the NetGear) of router, but once you buy that and get basic internet connectivity, you should be good to go. If you want to add security you can(and its recommended you do), and I would recommend WPA2.

#7 Tad Bear

Tad Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:12 PM

Thanks NpaMA I have done some more research on the special type of router you talked about. I believe this to be a 3g wireless router. The 2 models I have found are the Billion 6200NXL and the Netcomm 3GT1WN (both of which are available at computer parts land).

Having contacted Virgin re connection strength and mentioning the router, they said they didn't sell such products, would not assist in technical support for connecting and would only provide advice if I connected the usb modem dongle directly into my computer.

In the interim I have connected my usb dongle to a 4 in 1 usb adapter and am moving it about, so as to get the best signal, I have also changed the network to usmt only to stop it from continually seeking optus towers and connecting in and out (signal strength 0% to 24%).

I'm not sure if the 2 routers I have suggested have vpn and I am not sure about firewalls, but both support WPA2, which I will use.

I will try to get the settings from my current virgin mobile splash screen.

The other question I have is about which type of network to use. To reiterate my current setup: I have a desktop running windows xp (sp3) physically wired to a wireless router and a laptop running windows 7 home premium wirelessly connected. This has been set up, by a freind, as a "Home"network. So I am not sure if you can have 2 "home"networks or whether the new router setup and subsequent connection to my laptop should be a "public"network.

I also went back to a computer mag (not sure which) that had a whole section on"networking"and came away more confused than ever (as it kept going back and forth setting up router, setting up a network and connecting to the internet, without stating a particular order and confused between computers running xp, 7, or a combination of the two)

I have just found a guide to the netcomm router http://media.netcomm.com.au/public/assets/.../WSG-3GT1Wn.pdf which looks quite good but in step 2 it states: Please ensure that your modem/router is connected to your computer using an
ethernet cable before continuing. I beleive there is something called a crossover cable to connect from the router to the computer. But i'm not sure if your supposed to connect the crossover cable to the wan port of the router and the other end to the ethernet port (I think also calledRJ45) and due you also connect the usb modem to the router right from the start and basically leave it there. I amreally grtting confused between different set up guides. In the guide above I'm not sure whether I am supposed to do both 3a and 3b or just 3a. I'm going to take a break and hopefully see it more clearly later.

Regards Tad

ps, my connection dropped out when I tried to post this (luckily I had highlighted and copied most of my response.

Edited by Tad Bear, 07 October 2010 - 09:19 PM.

#8 Tad Bear

Tad Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:36 AM

I have just purchased the Billion 6200nxl 3g wireless router and beyond all my wishes it works. I have managed to set it up and am now receiving a strong signal.

I'm not totally sure how I did it - sheer good luck or purseverence (I think it came together after I set the WAN to 3G). I still have to work out how to change the name and password, but will keep trying. I will also at some stage wire it to my desktop via ethernet cable (LAN) and see how I go.

I would like to thank all those who kindly provided advice. Your advice and encouragement gave me the courage to seek an answer and to take that frightening step of trying to install a router. Who knows what I will try next - the journey in itself although frustrating is very rewarding, and has provided some self beleif to someone who needs it.

Regards Tad

#9 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:28 PM

Glad you got it to work. Sorry for the delay in a reply, been busy lately.

#10 Tad Bear

Tad Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:06 AM

Thanks NpaMA

I still have issues with my internet connection dropping out, but have set the configuration of the WAN profile to ""älways on"and put a tick in ""Keep Alive". Hopefully this will resolve my issue. I thought, at first. to change the ''idle time out'' from 600 seconds to 3600 seconds. So will see how it works out.

What a great resource bleepingcomputer is.

Regards Tad

#11 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:20 PM

I remember reading something about that problem on DSLReports, so if the problems continues I'll go look for the post.

#12 Tad Bear

Tad Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:48 PM

Hi npaMA thanks for your support. I have checked out dslreports.com and become a member.
Regards Tad

#13 Tad Bear

Tad Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:45 PM

Hi NpaMA I think I may have hunted down what you were refering to in dslreport. Anyway what I am going to try is:

A simple solution to keep the modem from going dormant in WINDOWS is to...

Open a CMD window (dos prompt).

type in.

ping google.com -t -l .01

(that's "dash" "tee" "dash" "L" "point 0 1")

This will keep the data connection open and not go dormant

So, I am nothing if not persistant. I hope this works.

Regards Tad

#14 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:37 AM

Depending on the USB modem, you may have a usage limit on it. Although ping's normally won't use much (if any) bandwidth, I just wanted you to know that you may use up a few MBs of your bandwidth per month by doing that.

Other then that, try it and see if it works. I don't see what you have to lose.

#15 Tad Bear

Tad Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:46 PM

Hi NpaMA

I'll let ypu know how it goes, thanks for the warning re usage of bandwidth, there is always something that can be forgotten. It's great to have a freind pick up what I miss. regards Tad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users