Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd behaviour after replacing hdd

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Icefall

Icefall

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:29 PM

Two days ago I went through the process of cloning my C: hdd and upgrading to a larger hdd. In the process of finding a bay to plug the larger drive in for the cloning process I found that I couldn't install the new drive where the old one had been due to the way the cage connects to the internal frame and how short the power and data cables are. After cloning I removed the old drive and put the new drive in one of the front removable drive bays on the tower.

Everything seems to work ok and the computer reads this as the new C: drive except for a few things I've noticed:
- The computer now thinks that 2 of my other drive/ports, one which doesn't exist and one that is a flash media drive, are HD-DVD drives
- The computer thinks that one of my other flash card reader drives/ports is an mp3 player and keeps asking if I want to sync music to it even though there is no flash media in it currently
- Randomly I am unable to click on anything in the task bar at the bottom. Start button, shortcuts, windows, task tray - none respond until I either click the desktop if it is visible, or click on a window header
- Along with this, none of the programs in my task tray that are minimized/hidden by the collapse arrow respond at all regardless of how/where I click. The always visible ones will work when the task bar isn't locked up, but the minimized ones never respond.

I ran all the general scans I could think of - anti-virus, spybot search & destroy, and a few other malware scans, but nothing turned up suggesting this was due to such types of programs. The computer didn't do any of these things before I cloned and installed the new hdd.

System: Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit SP2

Any information or help in these matters is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Edited by hamluis, 05 October 2010 - 10:25 AM.
Moved from System Building to Vista ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:07 AM

It sounds like you have some corrupted files. Try running sfc /scannow.

For instructions go to this web site.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Icefall

Icefall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:06 AM

I ran that and it said it found some files it couldn't fix. Looking at the log for it, its just 4 instances of the same file, some settings.ini for windows sidebar, which I'd never heard of or even knew was on the computer. I was going to follow that page's next steps for repairing the file manually but I'm uncertain of the file paths.

Here's the log files that couldn't be fixed:
2010-10-05 06:33:30, Info CSI 00000178 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"settings.ini" of Microsoft-Windows-Sidebar, Version = 6.0.6002.18005, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

2010-10-05 06:33:35, Info CSI 0000017a [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"settings.ini" of Microsoft-Windows-Sidebar, Version = 6.0.6002.18005, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

2010-10-05 06:39:06, Info CSI 000002f9 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"settings.ini" of Microsoft-Windows-Sidebar, Version = 6.0.6002.18005, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

2010-10-05 06:39:06, Info CSI 000002fb [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"settings.ini" of Microsoft-Windows-Sidebar, Version = 6.0.6002.18005, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

Currently my computer is still insisting that 2 of my drives are HD-DVD players. I haven't yet re-encountered the task bar locking up, but it does seem to be responding to clicks in the task tray that are normally collapsed/hidden.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:51 AM

Do a Startup Repair. You can find instructions for this here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Icefall

Icefall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:15 PM

Ran that, but still my E and J drives say they are HD-DVD drives.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:30 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#7 Icefall

Icefall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:48 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/QCzMOOY5yWj4g98FjkaT1No

Okay looking at it more I see now the E drive is my virtual drive thingy, which I've only used like twice ever a long while back, but it never displayed when not in use and it certainly wasn't ever showing as an HD-DVD drive. Still can't find a way to make it stop showing when not in use though and I'm still clueless on the mystery J drive.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:36 PM

I would remove whatever Software you have that controls your virtual drives.

#9 Icefall

Icefall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:07 PM

Well that made E go away, but J is still there.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:09 PM

Which one is J?

#11 Icefall

Icefall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:44 PM

J is the other mystery drive showing as an HD-DVD player.

This is the info from that Speccy program:
VOVG 7O12V09 SCSI CdRom Device
Media Type:
DVD-ROM
Name:
VOVG 7O12V09 SCSI CdRom Device
Availability:
Running/Full Power
Capabilities:
Random Access, Supports Removable Media
Config Manager Error Code:
Device is working properly
Config Manager User Config:
FALSE
Drive:
J:
Media Loaded:
FALSE
SCSI Bus:
SCSI Logical Unit:
SCSI Port:
SCSI Target Id:
OK

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:00 PM

Can you remove it under device manager?

#13 Icefall

Icefall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:06 PM

Disable or Uninstall?

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:10 PM

Uninstall it.

#15 Icefall

Icefall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:45 PM

That made it go away. Any ideas on what caused it to appear in the first place? So I can be aware if something similar ever comes up.

Thank you again for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users