Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to install Win XP. only getting BSOD

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 cachinbon

cachinbon

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:34 PM

Hi guys! My friend gave me his PC since he couldn't fix it. According to him the PC got some virus which everytime he would click on a link in a webpage would send him to different search engine or other sites. He decided to "format" his Hard-drive in hopes of starting fresh. After the format, he tried to install XP again but after Setup began he would get:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent
damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your
computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives
or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly

configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption,
and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF78D2524, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)"

So he said he gave up and gave me the PC see if I could fix it. I connected the hard drive to my laptop using a IDE:USB cable and laptop said HD needs to be reformatted (not sure If I should do this from my laptop). So far I've tried updating motherboard BIOS with no luck.

What should be my next step? Thanks in advance!

MB: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
HD: Western Digital WD3200AAJB Caviar Blue 320GB PATA/IDE 7200 RPM 8MB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:17 PM

Delete everything (all partitions) on the current hard drive, all partitions.

Run a diagnostic of the hard drive.

Do a clean install of XP, using appropriate media.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 October 2010 - 09:18 PM.

#3 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:04 PM

If you can, after deleting the partitions, boot to the Recovery Console from your XP installtion media. From there type:

map

This will list the hard drives connected to your system. Find the device name for the hard drive you are working with. Then type:

fixmbr [device name]

Where the device name is the one you retrieved from the map command. It could be something like "\Device\HardDisk0".

This will rewrite the bootcode on the master boot record and make sure it isn't infected with MBR virus.

Then type "exit", reboot, and recreate your partitions within XP setup.

#4 cachinbon

cachinbon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:04 PM

Delete everything (all partitions) on the current hard drive, all partitions.

Run a diagnostic of the hard drive.

Do a clean install of XP, using appropriate media.

Louis

So should I format the hard drive using my laptop?

If you can, after deleting the partitions, boot to the Recovery Console from your XP installtion media. From there type:

map

This will list the hard drives connected to your system. Find the device name for the hard drive you are working with. Then type:

fixmbr [device name]

Where the device name is the one you retrieved from the map command. It could be something like "\Device\HardDisk0".

This will rewrite the bootcode on the master boot record and make sure it isn't infected with MBR virus.

Then type "exit", reboot, and recreate your partitions within XP setup.

I can't get to Recovery Console. When I boot from XP CD I get the black screen...
Attached File  IMG_0120.JPG   227.61KB   8 downloads

then goes directly to blue setup screen. No option for Recovery Console
Attached File  IMG_0121.JPG   193.04KB   6 downloads

Also I already took a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103 but no solution. Any ideas guys?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,085 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:55 PM

Any MS Genuine XP CD...OEM, retail, etc...should provide access to the XP Recovery Console. I cannot make that statement for any recovery/restore CDs which may have been issued by a boxmaker/OEM.

The setup screen where files are transferred from the CD to RAM...comes before you choose the option to repair or reinstall.

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

As for deleting/formating/installing...that comes after the install process identifies the drives/installs detected a couple of screens back.

Louis

#6 cachinbon

cachinbon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:10 PM

Any MS Genuine XP CD...OEM, retail, etc...should provide access to the XP Recovery Console. I cannot make that statement for any recovery/restore CDs which may have been issued by a boxmaker/OEM.

The setup screen where files are transferred from the CD to RAM...comes before you choose the option to repair or reinstall.

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

As for deleting/formating/installing...that comes after the install process identifies the drives/installs detected a couple of screens back.

Louis

Thank you for the quick reply and for taking time to help me

The XP installation CD that my friend gave me with the PC is for "Upgrade". So maybe that is why Recovery Console is not available. :thumbsup:

After all the files have been loaded from the CD to RAM...I get "Setup is Starting Windows" and that's when I get the "*** STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF78D2524, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)" error.

I was reading the article on the link you posted and I noticed they mention that when XP is first installed it tries to determine what type of BIOS is available on the computer and that by pressing F5 when setup transfers files from CD to RAM, would take me to the "Hardware Abstraction Layer" menu and it supposed to have a list of computer types...well I only have 2 options: 1)Standard PC with C-Step i486, 2)Other . No "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC"

Any ideas?

Edited by cachinbon, 05 October 2010 - 11:16 PM.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:36 AM

I would download an updated BIOS, and also what version of XP are you installing?

#8 cachinbon

cachinbon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:35 AM

I've already updated the Motherboard BIOS and no luck....I'm trying to install XP Home Edition

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:24 AM

How to Test your RAM

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to check whether your system's RAM (Ramdom Access Memory) is working properly. Bad RAM can lead to a whole host of problems, often which do not appear to have a single cause -- appearing as systemwide glitches, blue screens, and other system trouble. MemTest86+ provides a very good detection mechanism for failed RAM, and is about as good a test you get short of actually replacing the module itself.

Tools Needed
Please perform these steps from a separate, working, machine.Perform these steps on the problem machine.
  • Put your CD in the drive and configure your machine to boot to the CD. This is different on all machines, but it's usually by pressing F12 or F10 as your system boots, and selecting either "CDROM" or your cdrom drive. If you are unable to force a CDRom boot, reply with the make and model of your machine and I should be able to get you exact instructions.
  • If you've done it correctly, MemTest86+ will start to run automaticly, as shown below:
    Posted Image
  • If you want to be reasonably your RAM is OK, then allow MemTest to run until you see this message:
    Posted Image

On the other hand, if you want to be completely sure your RAM is OK, allow MemTest to run overnight. Memtest will run forever until power is pulled on the machine.
  • Check the MemTest screen for any reported errors. Errors will appear as RED warnings at the bottom of the screen, similar to the following screenshot:
    Posted Image
  • Hard-Reset the machine, removing the MemTest disk in the process.
If you didn't get an error screen, Congratulations! :thumbsup:

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,085 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:05 PM

I'm looking at all this...did you ever run the hard drive diagnostic...or are you one of those persons who just takes it for granted...that the hard drive is worth the effort of attempting to install an O/S on it?

You cannot build a house...on less than a solid foundation...without expecting problems.

Louis

#11 cachinbon

cachinbon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:54 PM

Hi guys! Well I tried doing a hard drive diagnostic using Western Digital "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic" ISO and the PC wouldn't read the ISO. Tried with "Hitachi Drive Fitness Test" ISO and same problem...PC doesn't read it and skips to Hard Drive boot. :thumbsup: . It appears the only CD the PC reads is the WIN XP O/S.

Also tried "MemTest86+" but PC can't/wont read the CD.

Any ideas?

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:59 PM

That means you didn't burn the files right. What program did you use to burn?

#13 cachinbon

cachinbon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:12 PM

Toshiba Disk Creator

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,085 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:45 PM

How to write a CD-DVD image or ISO - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/

Louis

#15 cachinbon

cachinbon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:05 PM

Tried burning the ISO's with "ImgBurn". Computer still won't read the CD's. Any other ideas guys?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users