Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overheater, will not boot, tries to read 3.5 drive.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jukey_23

jukey_23

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:23 PM

I have a Gateway desktop - 510 XL. I think this pc is about 7 years old. Its had the hard drive replaced.
The main problem with this pc is that it had an overheating issue that got worse and worse. One of the kids blew out dust from fan with his mouth..stopped overheating. That was a few years ago.
Also, it had a nasty virus that I removed with the help of this website. After that, the computer ran like it did when they first bought it.
About a month ago, I pushed the power button to turn it on...the power indicator light on the pc came on; the monitor power light blinked green as if operative, but only immediately after powering on pc; same for the keyboard's lights. Neither the monitor or keyboard remain on, and the pc does not boot.
Basically, it is powered on but does not power on the keyboard and monitor.
This was sporadic. Most times I powered on with no problems, then all of a sudden would get this scenario.
Then lately it began to overheat. The exact situation was me running Dosbox and Rhapsody at the same time. It just cut off. Turned it back on and heard the beeping indicating that it had overheated.
After that, it had shut off in the middle of me using Netflix to watch streaming movies.
The pc's case was hot to the touch near the fan.
The next day, it gave me the "on, but not on" deal. Have not been able to boot since. Also within the last few tries, the indicator light on the 3.5 floppy disk drive stays lit and I can hear it trying to read that drive over and over...
Lastly, I put in a Dell restoration cd for the heck of it. It gave me a beep code: 2 short beeps, a pause, then 5 short beeps. I cannot find this beep code on the net. I took the cd out and put the pc in the closet.
Any insights?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:47 PM

This is the only beep codes I can come up with from Gateway.

http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INTE.../beepcode.shtml

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/510Series/...2900046nv.shtml

Here is a copy of your users guide.

http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals/Deskt...310/9524975.pdf

Are you sure it was 2 beeps, pause, then 5 beeps?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:28 AM

I suspect that your computer needs cleaning out properly. Blowing out the interior by lung power isn't really effective, you need to use canned air to do this properly. Inside the case there is a large printed circuit board that everything attaches to. On this board there is a fan which is connected to a heat sink and is attached to the board. This fan cools the central processing unit (CPU), if the fan and heat sink are too dusty it will cause the CPU to overheat. There is a thermal sensor which monitors the temperature of the CPU, and if the temperature exceeds the preset temperature the computer will shut down.

Purchase a can of canned air and clean out the inside of the case with particular attention paid to the fan and heat sink for the CPU.

The human body usually retains a certain amount of static electricity. Static electricity can damage some components inside the case of your computer. This can be prevented by simply touching the metal of the case before touching anything inside the case.

I understand that your computer will not start at the moment, and we will address this shortly. But cleaning this will insure that this isn't a contributing factor when you try any attempts to restart your computer.

Do you have the recovery disks that came with this computer?

Beep codes usually indicate that there is a hardware problem. If you have the recovery disk you can boot from this which if it works tells us immediately that the problem is either the operating system, or the hard drive.

If the computer doesn't boot from the CD there is a chance that the boot order needs to be set in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

Edited by dc3, 05 October 2010 - 01:33 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 jukey_23

jukey_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:18 PM

Mr. Bruce, now you've got me second guessing myself! I will get to the computer again tomorrow and make sure I got the beeps correct.

dc3, I will also bring home an air can tomorrow. I did however take the fan off of the heatsink and dusted out as much as I could with this little electronics brush I've got. Also, I do not have any of the disks unfortunately. With it immediately trying to access the floppy drive though, will it even read the recovery cd-rom if I can get my hands on it?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:22 PM

You will need to go into the BIOS and make the CD-ROM the first device in the boot order.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 jukey_23

jukey_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:45 PM

Cleaning out the dust - no good.

I forgot to mention that the beeps only occurred when I tried to use that Dell restoration disk...with no disk in there at all, I get no beeps, just the indicator light on the floppy drive.
Today I kept it on like that for about 2 minutes, and it just kept trying to read the 3.5 floppy drive.

I will attempt to get the Gateway system disks this weekend...here's to hoping the thing isn't a paper weight now.

#7 jukey_23

jukey_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:48 PM

This is the only beep codes I can come up with from Gateway.

http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INTE.../beepcode.shtml

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/510Series/...2900046nv.shtml

Here is a copy of your users guide.

http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals/Deskt...310/9524975.pdf

Are you sure it was 2 beeps, pause, then 5 beeps?

Bruce.

Ah, and the model in that user guide isn't mine sorry...let me give the correct model # - MFATXHRN MDW 510

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users