Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to copy drivers to a cd?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 carpediem12

carpediem12

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:00 PM

Hi I was wondering exactly how to go about doing this is it satisfactory to just burn them to cd I have driver magician to help me do this.
Also what is the difference between doing this and downloading them from a website and do I have to download them from my pc manufacturers website or the manufacturer of the componants website?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:29 PM

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Here is what I do.

First off all drivers are usually part of than executable file, with the file extension .EXE

If I wanted to save the .exe files or the various .sys files to a disk, I will simply drag them to the disk, using a disk burn utility.

If I wanted to make the disk to be similar to an original OEM or commercial type installation disk with auto run ability, I would create a text file called AUTORUN.

Inside the text file you would type the following text:

Note: This is just an example using Quake 3 Arena.

This text sample below is what would be written into the contents of the text file called AUTORUN

[autorun]
OPEN=setup.exe
ICON=\Quake3\Quake3.exe

You would substitute the third line if it WAS needed to the name of your executable file's associated icon.

But the first two lines above would be needed to auto run the .exe file automatically.

The icon would be the graphic image you would see attached to the button showing INSTALL, that sometimes pops up on the screen, this is the image file that shows the title of the game in an image, similar to a .jpeg image.

You would need to copy the setup.exe file and in the case of the icon, the icon that is associated to the game.

So the disk in question would only have 3 files on it.

AUTORUN (The text file. Must have this for auto run)

SETUP.EXE (The programs executable file. Most important file to have.)

ICON (if needed, but NOT always)

Other than that, you can put all your executables on a disk together and click each one as needed, there IS NO specific program you need besides a disk burning program.

In fact, Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 have a burn program built in, that will move files to a BLANK writable disk.

Hope this helps. Any further questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 04 October 2010 - 06:43 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 carpediem12

carpediem12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:16 PM

Hello thanks for that thats really useful information I have a folder on my laptop with all the drivers in them was just wondering should I saved the folder or each indiviual driver file in the folder separately?
In the second method how do the drivers install if not done automatically? Will Windows prompt for the drivers ,because I am planning to reformat and reinstall windows xp....
Also I hope I could save them to a USB drive as well?

Edited by carpediem12, 04 October 2010 - 07:23 PM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:11 PM

If you want to put the drivers in one folder and copy the folder to a CD-R disk this would be fine.

What you can do after your reformat is put that CD-R disk into the disk drive, access it through MY COMPUTER (Win XP) or COMPUTER for Vista and Win 7. Then drag the whole folder right to your desktop.

This will make a copy of the folder on your desktop.

Then all you have to do from there is double click each executable to re-install the drivers. Believe it or not, this will work.

Lets say you have a nVidia driver for the video card, the file is a stand-alone file with an executable extension in otherwords .exe

If you double click the file, it will open up the installation files packed into that file and that is all you need.

Some installation files are zipped packages that are designed to unzip automatically, un-pack and install the drivers automatically.

You should copy those files to disk as they are, a zipped file.

When I said you can make an autorun disk, you would only put one executable file on the disk along with the text file autorun.

I have done this with many programs, but it is not needed to install those drivers, it is a matter of convience, to make the disk similar to a disk that the hardware vendor would have sent you. However doing it this way, uses a lot of blank disks for each hardware driver.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:33 AM

Hi I was wondering exactly how to go about doing this is it satisfactory to just burn them to cd I have driver magician to help me do this.
Also what is the difference between doing this and downloading them from a website and do I have to download them from my pc manufacturers website or the manufacturer of the componants website?

That's a good question and would depend on the particular hardware and whether the PC manufacturer had updated the drivers?

What model of computer do you have?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 carpediem12

carpediem12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:44 PM

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo L7320, I think the drivers are all updated thats what it says in the device manager anyway.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:52 PM

http://uk.ts.fujitsu.com/support/downloads.html

Shows only 2006 drivers for that laptop and windows xp so if device manager agrees you should be good to go.

I would only trust drivers from that site tho since ones on your conputer could be corrupted or infected?
Chewy

#8 carpediem12

carpediem12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:54 PM

Seems like I would have to download from the component manufacturers site instead because it didn't seem to list enough drivers on the fijutsu site and the drivers were all from 2006.
And it includes a bios update ,which could ruin everything.
But its a mighty lot of drivers to have to download separartly.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:04 PM

You probably don't need the bios and the only problem I see is identifying your wireless adapter, all in all it's fairly simple compared to most laptops.
Chewy

#10 carpediem12

carpediem12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:46 PM

Ok so these are all the drivers I need then? What about all the other drivers listed in the device manager?
Like the batteries and things like that?

#11 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:23 PM

Basically you typically only need chipset (sometimes, and ALWAYS install first if necessary), video, audio, network and wireless (if laptop). I always install them in that order too
CDRom drives, USB etc are pretty much built into Windows
In the beginning there was the command line.

#12 carpediem12

carpediem12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:39 PM

Yeah I heard that somewhere before that the chipset drivers should be first..basically have copied all my non microsoft drivers to a usb stick using driver magician do you think that will do the trick?
I will burn a couple of cd's with them on as well just to be on the safe side..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users