Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes/Reboots/Weird things

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 hellokupo

hellokupo

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:02 PM

I built this computer about a year ago and it has never really worked right and have finally gotten tired of it. Here's the symptoms:

Initial boot:
It powers on, fans turn on, keyboard lights...... and then shuts off before doing anything. Stops for 4 seconds. Repeat. 4 seconds. Repeat. Do this for 3-4 times and then it boots. Everything is okay for a while.

Using windows:
Sometimes I'll be doing something..... usually with audio (now, before you say SOUNDCARD, I do a lot of audio work so it's USUALLY with audio) but sometimes with games or something that has no sound at all. If sound is playing, it'll freeze the audio followed by the screen turning black (usually... sometimes it does not). 1 out of 10 times it'll reboot itself after a couple of seconds but usually I have to turn it off and then back on. Another thing..... there was one or two times that I left the computer on overnight where it froze.

Something stupid I did when i first built it:
When I first built this computer, I installed the paired memory in the wrong slots aka put one stick in slot 1a put one stick in slot 2a. I ran it like that for a while before realizing I've done something dumb.

Fans:
I put a LOT of fans in this because I planned on overclocking the video card and the processor but have never gotten the chance. I checked the voltage in the BIOS, turned the front fan on all the way and got 12.36v which to me seems okay.

Hard drive:
The hard drive was brand new and I don't see any issues with it. I've run tests on it with no result.

I also ran some processor benchmark tests and didn't have any issues. I have no idea what the problem is and its been driving me nuts. Please please please help. My friend told me it could be my install of XP but it doesn't explain the weird stuff that happens at boot which I think is related to the weird freezing issue. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hellokupo

hellokupo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:03 PM

Also, apologies if I put this in the wrong section but I have no idea if this is a Windows issue or a hardware issue.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:31 PM

Drop your overclock back to stock levels and see if it still gives you these issues. Overclocking can be distasterous to computer components regardless of how much you invested in cooling the machine.

#4 hellokupo

hellokupo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:34 PM

Yeah, I did that. I thought I mentioned that in my initial post. Either or yeah, it's back to stock right now.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:15 PM

To many fans can lead to issues where you are not getting enough air flow can you take a picture of your case with the side off?

#6 hellokupo

hellokupo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:56 PM

I can but I still don't think it is an overheat issue. The way I have it set up is:
one adjustable fan in the front for intake, 2 in the back (default power), and 2 on the side that direct the airflow towards the cpu and video card.

picture:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3579/348250...7ccb9e712_o.jpg

This is an old picture with the described memory misplacement so ignore that ;). The only thing different about the setup now is an upgraded video card and to be honest, it was doing the same thing with the previous video card.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:21 PM

Id like a recent picture, and is this a dual processor machine?

#8 hellokupo

hellokupo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:02 PM

Core 2 Duo.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4129/505285...f5ababb3b_o.jpg
The cards that are installed are (from top to bottom)
1. part of number 2, not really installed
2. SBLive Audigy
3. video card

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:08 PM

Take out 2 sticks of RAM and see if the issue is resolved. Also what motherboard do you have?

#10 hellokupo

hellokupo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:13 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128369 Mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115054 Processor

#11 hellokupo

hellokupo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:22 PM

Alright, took two sticks on memory out. It boot on the first try. Not sure if that's ever happened but.......
I have OCCT running to just give it something to play with for a while. I'll do some crazy audio stuff after that.
Hopefully I was just dealing with some bad memory. I'll reply after it goes through some tests. Thank you in the meantime.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:22 PM

Your video card should be in the first slot not the very bottom.

#13 hellokupo

hellokupo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:26 PM

I'm not sure there's a spot for it except there. I'll take it apart and look at it once its done all that it is doing.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:28 PM

Its the blue slot, and you need to provide more airflow for your video card as well its probably overheating.

#15 hellokupo

hellokupo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:29 PM

Got it. There was a reason I put it there, I'm sure of it. I think it may have been a space issue with the Audigy. Again, I'll try once its done doing some benchmarks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users