Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

syssetup.inf missing or corrupt

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PC_Concepts

PC_Concepts

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:03 PM

Hi all,

My Acer netbook has a new HDD and 1Gig RAM and has been running well for several months after the upgrades. It started running extremely slowly and would not do anything.

I ran memtest with no errors so I decided to run repair with original disk. During windows setup I received the following error, "fatal error, critical information file syssetup.inf missing or corrupted. Now computer keeps rebooting to windows setup and right back to the same error.

please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:09 PM

How old is this lap top?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:17 PM

Some users with this error...report bad hard drives.

I would try to run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic (long) test on it.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

I would also ensure that the disk used to attempt the repair...is clean.

Louis

#4 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:29 PM

Also, you may have a bad cdrom drive or a damaged recovery cd. Make sure there isn't a foreign object in the drive. I once had an Acer that was dying on an install from CD and it turned out there was a penny in the drive keeping the head from moving to certain areas of the disk.

Edited by Gabrial, 04 October 2010 - 07:30 PM.

#5 PC_Concepts

PC_Concepts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:38 PM

I'm not too sure how old it is but there is a new HDD and 1GB RAM module installed just a couple of months ago and had a clean install of XP Pro.

Hi all,

My Acer netbook has a new HDD and 1Gig RAM and has been running well for several months after the upgrades. It started running extremely slowly and would not do anything.

I ran memtest with no errors so I decided to run repair with original disk. During windows setup I received the following error, "fatal error, critical information file syssetup.inf missing or corrupted. Now computer keeps rebooting to windows setup and right back to the same error.

please help

#6 PC_Concepts

PC_Concepts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:41 PM

The ACER netbook does not have any optical drive so the CD/DVD drive I am using is a fairly new external drive that I purchased new a couple of months ago and has only been used 3-4 times then stored in the original packing.

Some users with this error...report bad hard drives.

I would try to run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic (long) test on it.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

I would also ensure that the disk used to attempt the repair...is clean.

Louis

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:05 PM

A new hard drive...can die just as quickly as one that is 2, 3, 4, 5 years old.

It should not, but it happens. I'd run the diagnostic, I don't think it's coincidence that users with this error check that.

Louis

#8 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:06 PM

Did you receive the error durring the initial setup in the text based interface with the blue background, or after copying files succeeded and windows rebooted?

#9 PC_Concepts

PC_Concepts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:42 AM

Gabriel,

I received the error after all files were copied and the setup began. The setup screen stated 39 minutes for setup to complete.

Did you receive the error durring the initial setup in the text based interface with the blue background, or after copying files succeeded and windows rebooted?

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:46 AM

I ask again how old is this lap top?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users