Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting a secondary router as a wireless repeater

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 coyote1982

coyote1982

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:31 PM

Hi everybody,
I have two wireless routers: 1. TP-Link's TL-WR841N and 2. Edimax's BR-6424n
Currently the TP-Link router is connected to the modem and is what I use to connect to the internet.
I want to use my edimax router as either a repeater or an access point (and I'm not sure what's the difference) to be able to connect to the internet with a desktop PC that has no wireless capabilities (I connected it to one of the LAN ports on the Edimax router)

I'm having trouble configuring the router(s) and would really appreciate whatever help you can give.
I already tried a bunch of things that I googled but no success. I'm getting really frustrated so please help me!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 coyote1982

coyote1982
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:50 AM

Any reason why I'm getting no replies? Is it such a complex issue or have I left out any needed information?

Please, if you know anything at all that might help me, do not hesitate to post it.

Thanks in advance to all repliers.

#3 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:31 AM

What you are trying to accomplish with the Edimax is what is called a client bridge. Unfortunately most home routers are designed (in software) to be the Access Point of a structured network, not the Client (which is the other end - think jack and plug). Loading aftermarket firmware, like OpenWRT or DD-WRT will allow you to put the units into Client mode, but unfortunately it doesn't look like either of those routers is supported as far as I can tell with a quick look.

For a relatively inexpensive alternative, check one of these USB attached client interfaces - I'd personally suggest one of the WiFiStation units listed near the bottom of the list if the range is long or there are more than a couple of walls between the router and your computer. For Ethernet connected options look for devices that are advertised to connect game consoles - those are client bridges, but unfortunately the vendors are very "proud" of their work and sell them at a real premium. Otherwise find yourself a Linksys WRT54GL on sale somewhere and install OpenWRT or DD_WRT and make yourself a client box, but expect to spend a little time learning to figure it out if you are not at least a pretty involved hobbyist. (If you don't know what Flashing Microcode with TFTP means, you will have some learning to do.)

#4 coyote1982

coyote1982
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:58 AM

WOW, that's quite disappointing. I was sure it's possible to accomplish what I want with the two routers in my posession.
Thanks alot for your suggestion. I might be able to find an old wireless PCI card for my desktop PC and will look into the option of buying one of those USB attached client inerfaces.

Thanks again

#5 davidanders

davidanders

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:40 PM

http://lifehacker.com/344765/turn-your-60-...ter-with-tomato

http://lifehacker.com/5563196/turn-your-ol...-wi+fi-repeater

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3655041
David Anders