Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which UPS should I use?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Ran-K

Ran-K

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:08 PM

I have a GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard, 2 500GB SATA HDDs, Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz, 4GB DDR3 PC 1066 RAM, and GeForce GTS 450.

That's the system I'm building.

However with my old computer I currently have this UPS:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16842101343

Would that one be enough?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:35 PM

What do you mean when you say "enough"? A UPS is designed to give you the time to safely shut down your PC in event of power failure. The UPS that you listed will provide you with that without a problem.

#3 Ran-K

Ran-K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:38 PM

What do you mean when you say "enough"? A UPS is designed to give you the time to safely shut down your PC in event of power failure. The UPS that you listed will provide you with that without a problem.

Well, since it's only 350W, I thought maybe it wouldn't be enough for the amount of wattage my computer would have.

#4 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:29 PM

Your planned rig draws barely 250W of power under full load (gaming). At idle it draws maybe 160W. You'll never need to worry and hopefully when the power goes out you'll be safely powering that PC down and not using the UPS like a laptop battery to see how long you can game in the dark.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3909/nvidias...e-mainstream/16

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:52 AM

The specifications on the battery of that UPS indicates that with a load of 165W it will provide up 13.5 minutes. With a 330W load it will provide up to a 3.3 minutes. As JonM33 pointed out, this isn't intended to run your computer for an extended period of time, only to provide you with enough time to safely shut down your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Ran-K

Ran-K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

How do you know it draws 250W? How can I calculate that?

Edited by Ran-K, 05 October 2010 - 11:31 AM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:28 AM

You can use Antec's power calculator.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Ran-K

Ran-K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:32 AM

I got Recommended Minimum PSU Wattage: 358W.

So wouldn't the 330W be too small?

#9 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:56 AM

How do you know it draws 250W? How can I calculate that?

You can use Antec's power calculator.

No, don't use that. They are NEVER accurate. Use an actual device that measures power draw from the outlet such as a Kill-A-Watt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_A_Watt

I use resources such as AnandTech that provide their power draw readings in hardware reviews.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:21 PM

It really doesn't matter. If the computer is drawing 230W you're still only going to have about five minutes max to shut down the computer. A UPS uses lead acid batteries, and the electrolytes deteriorate over time reducing the amp hours it can deliver, so there's another consideration.

If it's worth fifteen to twenty dollars to find out what it is drawing wattage wise, the kill-a-watt is a simple to use and fairly accurate tool for this. If you have access to an ampere meter you can read the current draw and convert that to watts. Watts = Volts x Amps

Edited by dc3, 05 October 2010 - 01:55 PM.

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:35 PM

No, don't use that. They are NEVER accurate. Use an actual device that measures power draw from the outlet such as a Kill-A-Watt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_A_Watt

I use resources such as AnandTech that provide their power draw readings in hardware reviews.

They should provide a ballpark figure that is good in most cases.

Not everyone has the need or cash to invest into a specialized tool.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:58 PM

Just for the record, I took a Amprobe to determine the current draw of my computer and then converted this to Watts. The figure that I got was real close to what Antec suggested. :thumbsup:

#13 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:05 PM

They should provide a ballpark figure that is good in most cases.

Not everyone has the need or cash to invest into a specialized tool.

Then use resources as I have. I can dig up 10 other websites on Bing that will be quite close in power draw for that rig. Antec isn't to be trusted because they manufacture power supplies - of course they will make a calculator that will get you to spend more money on a higher wattage PSU. Lately they have been on a big stink about single vs multiple +12V rails to make it seem like other company's products are faulty. I don't like negative marketing.

Edited by JonM33, 05 October 2010 - 05:10 PM.

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:30 PM

I can see you may have a point regarding Antec.

Providing alternatives links is always helpful. Care to share a few of the more reliable ones you have found?

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:38 PM

Antec isn't to be trusted because they manufacture power supplies - of course they will make a calculator that will get you to spend more money on a higher wattage PSU.

Most of these sites will add at least 10% more wattage, this is to ensure that their calculations don't fall short, not to try to sell a larger PSU.

Most people that have advanced to the point that they are building their own computers either know enough to ask others for advice about purchasing an adequate PSU if they are unsure, or know enough to to be able to make a good decision about the purchase.

Edited by dc3, 05 October 2010 - 05:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users