Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Pointing With Hosts

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 davenetd

davenetd

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:41 AM

I don't know if I'm in the right place for this, but here it goes:

I have to connect to many servers from my laptop (25). So I have host file entries for everyone of the servers so that I can reference the servers easily with my programs and what not. I also have a pc serving up some intratnet pages, and I need access to this constantly.

I have two entries for one of my servers here, one is a remote access address and one is for local, and this address also points to the intranet. For some reason I can't get on the intranet internally. I tried commenting out the internal host entry for that server (172.......) and I could get on temporarily. Then when it wouldn't let me on again, I commented out the remote entry (63.......) and it let me on the intranet. Now it won't let me on the intranet unless I type in the physical adress of the server (172......) and I can't view the pages that are served up by the pc. This is the only computer in the building having trouble connecting, and the others are also using host files. I had been working for months with no problems, and then boom! Can't use the intranet. I have no problems connecting to the servers for any other reasons but this.

I hope this makes sense to someone. Can windows XP block these sites. I have turned off windows firewall, and have no other internet security on my PC. My Norton is not blocking, but I turned it off and checked anyways. Still nothing. I don't understand how commenting those adresses out worked temporarily either.

Any help would be great! This is making my days a little harder for lack of ease to info.

Thanks in advance!
:thumbsup: :flowers:
Davenetd
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users