Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsof .NET Framework update won't install

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:18 AM

These came up on auto updates yesterday. They won't install. I have tried the Microsoft Update site, uninstalling and reinstalling .NET Framework 3.5 and downloading Microsft Installer 4.5. None of this worked and I don't know what else I should do. It doesn't seem to affect my system at all. I want it to either insrall properly or get rid of this nuisance update. Advice please.

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB982524)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:17 PM

In Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs uninstall your .NET Framework installations.
After uninstalling all your .NET Framework, download .NET Framework Cleanup Tool and execute it and clean up any configuration data that was left behind.

Then connect to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com with Internet Explorer and do a Custom Update. In Optional components you will have the .NET Framework installers listed. Select the one required by the software you are using on your system. If you are unsure, install them all.

Then your updates will install properly.

#3 frankp316

frankp316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:57 AM

I did what you suggested except for one thing. I did not reinstall .NET Framework 3.5. When I attempted to uninstall .NET Framework 2, it said that uninstalling would affect other components. So I left it alone. It did not do that when I uninstalled .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. Several versions of .NET Framework come up in optional downloads on Microsoft Update. So this leads me to believe that I don't need .NET Framework 3.5 and if I need it in the future, I can always download it later. Your thoughts?

#4 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:00 PM

That would seem to be the case. And since your failing updates were all in .NET Framework 3.5, you can probably just leave it uninstalled.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:40 PM

FWIW: NET Framework 3.5, SP1 includes components for 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5. Installing it installs all components of the SP.

Louis

#6 frankp316

frankp316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:15 PM

It's not coming up as an automatic update anymore so it can't be that important. And all I really wanted to do was get rid of an update that wasn't installing anyway. If I need it in the future, I will deal with it accordingly. .NET Framework is at best an optional product required to run some apps and at worst a nuisance as it was in this case.

Edited by frankp316, 05 October 2010 - 06:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users