Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange figures on screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 slugdoug

slugdoug

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:57 AM

I have a computer that is running XP and a couple of days ago it started to type **************** all across whatever program you have open that will accept text, including the command prompt. No new software or hardware has been installed on this computer in more than a year and all updates are installed. When this started I changed the keyboard and that didn't help, I then unplugged every device except for the keyboard, mouse and monitor and it still does it. I have ran AVG and Malwarebytes and they find nothing on this computer. I am running out of ideas and am hoping that you can help, I have also attached a screen print of what I get.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:26 AM

That looks like a stuck key situation to me, with asterisks.

<<I changed the keyboard and that didn't help,>>

What type keyboards...USB, PS2, wireless, wired?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 slugdoug

slugdoug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:48 AM

This unit is a Gateway MATXHRN MDP E4100, the original keyboard was a usb keyboard and was doing the same thing only with the number 6, I then changed it out with a brand new HP ps2 keyboard which is randomly giving me ****. If when it is doing this I hit the number 8 key then it will insert the 8 and then continue on with the string of asterisk. If you are in for example word and it starts, you could open excel, click in a cell and it will start there, open a browser window and click the address bar and it will continue there until for no real reason it stops.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:25 AM

Most keyboards come with software that needs to be installed to get it to work properly.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:37 AM

Driver Downloads.

I don't know anything about that system...but I would certainly try removing the chipset drivers (via Device Manager) and reinstalling fresh ones from the link above.

Louis

#6 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:20 PM

Most keyboards will work in a basic mode. You only need the software to enable keys outside the standard 102-key setup, like Power keys, extra email/volume control keys, etc.

What happens when you don't have a keyboard plugged in at all? Does it still do it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users