Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing windows movie maker

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 snowghost

snowghost

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:27 AM

This is a useless program for me, it takes up a ton of space and has about 60 startup files, there is no uninstall for it. What is the best way to remove this junk from my system
It is considered bolt ware is way it was not on win7

I am really thanking about going back to XP Pro, never had a problem with it, never had to reboot to get it back up to speed, have not tested win7 yet, almost afraid to, the newer windows get the more problems they come with

I stayed with win 98se till win 2000 pro, I still beleave win 2000 pro was there best release to date, it just became out dated, now XP pro stands as there best release, the reason so many or not upgrading from XP pro, it is a solid OS that runs with out fault.

I had no choice, when I bought my new pc, vista was the only choice, I have converted it to XP desktop

I am not having many problems with vista, it just has to much s-i-t on it I dont need or use and am trying to remove all the crap it came with. I like to keep my system clean, keep the best AV-Adware-Maleware-defrag-torjan-rootkit finders-registry error apps running and up to date, and I do not count on one of these apps to do the job so I go with 3 different ones of each expect for the AV app which I stand alone with nod32, nod32 has held it's ground for me from 1997, I can say I have never been infected for the last 13 years , got hijacked once when I did not thank I needed a firewall, turned all my files to Chinese language , good thing I was running dule OS bootup, and was able to boot into win98 and recover ever thing out of 2000 pro. So needlees to say I dont take this lightly, I just don't want resource hoging stuff on my system that I have no intention of using.

Hope this was not to much information, but I do know the more you know about what I got the better you can come up with a solution

Edited by snowghost, 04 October 2010 - 10:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:18 AM

Unfortunately Windows Movie Maker is a core part of Windows Vista and it cannot be uninstalled officially.

#3 snowghost

snowghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:38 AM

Every thing I have found on google says the same, but I can't find any thing earlier than 2008 vista sp1 , I did find one that said you could turn it off in options, but I can't find any turn off option in options
I did find one post that said movie maker or any of it components was not needed after the sp2 release
This app is a resource hog and needs to be put to rest

Edited by snowghost, 04 October 2010 - 11:51 AM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:54 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#5 snowghost

snowghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:25 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/14HV3z9GNRUJrmiwThNcElR

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:44 PM

Your computer is very well specced, you should not be having any space issues what so ever.

When you say 60 Start Up items are you talking about the number of processes shown in the bottom of task manager?

#7 snowghost

snowghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:38 PM

No these show up in the autorun app, I counted them just now it is only 29 .dll that startup at boot. I am not having any problems, would just like to get this app off my system if possible with causing other problems. My only concern is that it takes my system about 8 minutes to get to login screen, thats got to be caused with to much stuff trying to start up

Edited by snowghost, 04 October 2010 - 04:42 PM.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:16 PM

Can you post the text file from autoruns?

#9 snowghost

snowghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:06 PM

I saved a text file but you could not make any thing out of it, so I got a screen capture of it. I have unchecked all enterys and it had no effect on my bootup time, all it did was force me to use the power off button to shut down

Posted Image

Heres part of the tex file to do with movie maker

X "9x8Resize" "Windows Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
X "Allocator Fix" "Windows Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
X "Bitmap" "Windows Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
X "Capture ASF Writer" "Windows Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
X "Frame Eater" "Windows Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
X "Multiple File Output" "Windows Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
X "Proxy Sink" "Windows Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
X "Proxy Source" "Windows Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
X "Record Queue" "Windows Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
X "ShotDetect" "Windows Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
X "Stetch" "Windows Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
X "WM VIH2 Fix" "Windows Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
X "WMT Audio Analyzer" "Windows Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
X "WMT Black Frame Generator" "Windows Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
X "WMT DV Extract Filter" "Windows Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
X "WMT FormatConversion" "Windows Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
X "WMT Import Filter" "Windows Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
X "WMT Interlacer" "Windows Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
X "WMT Log Filter" "Windows Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
X "WMT MuxDeMux Filter" "Windows Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
X "WMT Sample Info Filter" "Windows Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
X "WMT Switch Filter" "Windows Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
X "WMT Virtual Renderer" "Windows Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
X "WMT Virtual Source" "Windows Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"
X "WMT Volume" "Windows Movie Maker Filters" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\movie maker\wmm2filt.dll"

Edited by snowghost, 04 October 2010 - 06:22 PM.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:26 PM

And they still start up?

#11 snowghost

snowghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:07 PM

Even before I unchecked the boxs I could not find any thing to do with movie maker in processes or services, they must be hidden under a different name.

So far the best I have found out about this program is to just try and live with it, I did find one post that had a code to use in command prompt to totally remove movie maker but I just don't want to screw things up just yet . I will look further into this before I do any thing dragtest to my system, like they say don't fix something that isn't broken

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:10 AM

As previously stated...WMM is part of Windows XP.

Autoruns reflects all files, including basic Windows files, which run at boot.

I suspect that moving/stopping any of those files...will result in Vista problems.

The typical "startup" items are reflected on the Logon tab of Autoruns.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 October 2010 - 10:11 AM.

#13 snowghost

snowghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:00 PM

For now I am going to leave it alone, unchecking its startup boxes had no effect on my boot up time or my cpu usage, it stays betweem 1% and 16% most of the time.
Now I am looking for other reasons it takes me so long to get to login screen, I have allready disabled all the most common useless startup junk still no effect on startup time.
I am not sure what an average startup time is for vista home premium 64 bit
Mine is, 3 minutes in the gateway screen then 3 and a half to login

Edited by snowghost, 05 October 2010 - 03:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users