Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sophos Anti virus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Trevrev

Trevrev

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:01 AM

After having the I.T guys take a look at my PC for virus reasons, they thought it would be a good idea to scrap my Kaspersky internet 2010 because it had let through too many bugs, and replace it with Sophos 9.5.

The only time i'd ever heard of Sophos was when the guys installed it at work.

Is it any good?

I hope it is, as i've now got it on my PC! It doesn't seem to do much. Kaspersky was always doing something or other, Updating, flashing, blocking, alerting!

What are your thoughts people?

Trev.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:06 PM

Sophos is a well known anti-virus vendor. Kaspersky is too.

However, choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. Other factors to consider include effectiveness, user friendliness, ease of updating, ease of installation and removal. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use and your system. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use a paid for product or free alternative. For more specific information to consider, please read Choosing Your Anti-virus Software.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Just because one anti-virus detected threats that another missed, does not mean its more effective. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense, safe computing and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Trevrev

Trevrev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:39 AM

Thanks for the feedback Quietman7.
I've not been having alot of luck with security of late, so i'm a bit paranoid about it all.

Trev.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:03 AM

I understand and BC is a good place to ask questions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:05 PM

Hi folks,
I'll say that one thing you should do is for one, don't do everything support personnel tell you since they're probably speaking from opinion. I have also heard of someone who had been told by a support technician that NOD32 is one big nothing, and that is certainly wrong. @Trev, you should stick with Kaspersky Internet Security 2010. You probably just accidentally disabled or lowered the settings of one of it's modules, as that's easy to do with it's very powerful and highly configurable intreface. No tech support technician has the right to tell you to switch AV venders, nor do they have the right to put on your computer what they think you should be using. A friend of mine had that happen to her at college, and I certainly didn't agree with how her situation was handled. The techs took off her paid copy of Norton since they thought it was a trial, replaced it with Avast 5 free, while meanwhile, she was still having to pay the bill for something that was no longer on her computer! Don't you think that the courteous thing to do would have been to ask her what she wanted to do with it? I most certainly do. So, watch out for those who think they know everything, and stick to your guns and the venders you like! Kaspersky is a great company, so stay with them if you like them.

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users