Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 64 fake alert new?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rob999

Rob999

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:46 AM

Hi folks being a newbie, no doubt I will be advised what I may have done incorrectly - constructive advice always welcome.

Windows 7 HP 64 on bog-standard Dell Inspiron 400 micro, 4gn RAM AMD X2 3250e with Avast antivirus (brand new system).

Getting Fake alert scam – Avast didn’t pick it up, malwarebytes picked up a link but not the files, Sophos picked up nothing.

Thought I was stuck as Combofix doesn’t work on 64 bit machines – but a little legwork based on the clue given by malwarebytes led me to the file 823306.exe – Virus total 9 antivirus systems recognise but none of the big boys!!

Guess that with the increased popularity of 64 bit machines that the low life are turning their attention to these!

Edited by Orange Blossom, 06 October 2010 - 10:48 PM.
Move to AII from Breaking V and S News ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phil H

Phil H

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:47 AM

Rob,
I'm in the same ballpark with you. One of our faculty has a Dell with Windows 7 x64 that picked up Smart Advisor(?) plus another one of it's friends. One positive thing I did find is that these jokers don't seem to be able to turn off Task Manager in x64 like they do when you get them in Windows XP 32bit. So you can swat them while you search for the files. But I'm still try to restore the Internet connection - and nothing in HiJackThis looks like a culprit. We use McAfee 8.7 commercial edition on campus and they sailed right by. So anyone with thoughts out there, I'd like to hear them too. And if I find stuff, I'll let you all know. And an x64 version of Combo Fix would be real nice to have just about now... Thanks!

Edited by Phil H, 22 October 2010 - 10:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users