Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser stuck on loading

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 benny269

benny269

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:52 AM

Hi,

My XP PC recently had a Trojan problem hijacking URLs which I removed. Performance has been a bit sluggish since then and now browsers just refuse to load any page. I have a laptop and mobile devices which are all connected to the same connection via wifi running as normal. The PC is connected via ethernet, ping tests with the router and popular sites return about 14ms and yet no sites are loading. I usually use FF but tested with Chrome and IE with the same outcome. The status bars at the bottom show no message (e.g. connecting, transferring, waiting etc) and the loading circle symbol just goes round and round. Tried the obvious stuff rebooting PC and/or router to no avail, ran Malwarebytes with nothing found. Considered reinstalling browsers but didnt make sense with all browser behaving the same way and laptop working fine.

I have no idea what to do. Help is urgently required and enormously appreciated.

Thanks

UPDATE 1: Tested router and ethernet cable with laptop and ran as normal. Internet works and so I think there is no problem with the hardware. Connecting back to PC left the old problem in place. Checking Network Connections showed as active. I disabled and reenabled the connection and it now shows as having "Limited or no connectivity". Status check shows around 50 packets had been sent and 2 received. Selecting the repair option had no success because it could not "renew the IP address".

UPDATE 2: Running through power cycles has got rid of limited connectivity. Connected now, but still no pages loaded in any browser and status shows ZERO packets sent and received. I did get a message balloon saying "IP address conflict with another system on network" but checking router settings shows DHCP server is enabled and there are 3 distinct addresses as required. However Primary DNS Suffix and Connection-Specific DNS Suffix is blank when using ipconfig.

UPDATE 3: ISP has confirmed it is not a connection issue. I have tried using Portable Firefox as a temporary reinstallation but that had the same problem. I have run TDSSKiller and SUPERAntiSpyware which found no infection.

Edited by benny269, 04 October 2010 - 10:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:11 PM

UPDATE 4: I considered formatting my PC and reinstalling Windows for a fresh start. As a test to make sure it would work I attached a spare Linux drive I had and booted into an old Ubuntu installation. The same issue was happening there which leads me to believe that a reinstall probably wouldn't help. Does this mean the problem is hardware based?

UPDATE 5: I was told to try reinstalling ethernet drivers, so I checked the Compaq Support site for downloads. There was no listed option for ethernet but I tried the modem driver update as a last hope. Running the installer looks like it completes but then gives out the following error:

Posted Image

This seems to have had a positive effect. Since then internet pages have started loading again. However, they are still loading very slowly. Not too noticeable on sites with mainly text but pictures are slow, media takes ages and java/videos/games just leaves empty boxes within the site.

Its been a week since my initial post and I've run out of ideas. I can't believe an issue like this would force me to have to buy a new PC but I'm starting to get desperate. Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

UPDATE 6: I've discovered that on rebooting, the Loading problem persists again as before. Then when I run the modem update I get back partial usage again as described in Update 5. Is it possible that if the modem update ran fully and completed then the problem would be solved?

Edited by benny269, 10 October 2010 - 03:14 AM.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:58 PM

I think you should either ask this in XP or post a DDS log and make certain you are malware free.

For the DDS option. Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 04:57 AM

DDS log posted here.

I've also added Update 6 having realised that a reboot reinstates the problem. Perhaps that information might help?

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:31 PM

That is good.
Now that your log is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users