My XP PC recently had a Trojan problem hijacking URLs which I removed. Performance has been a bit sluggish since then and now browsers just refuse to load any page. I have a laptop and mobile devices which are all connected to the same connection via wifi running as normal. The PC is connected via ethernet, ping tests with the router and popular sites return about 14ms and yet no sites are loading. I usually use FF but tested with Chrome and IE with the same outcome. The status bars at the bottom show no message (e.g. connecting, transferring, waiting etc) and the loading circle symbol just goes round and round. Tried the obvious stuff rebooting PC and/or router to no avail, ran Malwarebytes with nothing found. Considered reinstalling browsers but didnt make sense with all browser behaving the same way and laptop working fine.
I have no idea what to do. Help is urgently required and enormously appreciated.
UPDATE 1: Tested router and ethernet cable with laptop and ran as normal. Internet works and so I think there is no problem with the hardware. Connecting back to PC left the old problem in place. Checking Network Connections showed as active. I disabled and reenabled the connection and it now shows as having "Limited or no connectivity". Status check shows around 50 packets had been sent and 2 received. Selecting the repair option had no success because it could not "renew the IP address".
UPDATE 2: Running through power cycles has got rid of limited connectivity. Connected now, but still no pages loaded in any browser and status shows ZERO packets sent and received. I did get a message balloon saying "IP address conflict with another system on network" but checking router settings shows DHCP server is enabled and there are 3 distinct addresses as required. However Primary DNS Suffix and Connection-Specific DNS Suffix is blank when using ipconfig.
UPDATE 3: ISP has confirmed it is not a connection issue. I have tried using Portable Firefox as a temporary reinstallation but that had the same problem. I have run TDSSKiller and SUPERAntiSpyware which found no infection.
Edited by benny269, 04 October 2010 - 10:39 AM.