Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please can anyone suggest a way out of my dilemma?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 snakelady258

snakelady258

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:55 AM

Hi All. :huh:

I am so sorry for being a pain, but I am trying to rid my computer of malware, and was following the instructions well until almost at the bottom of the sheet of instructions and was told to back up my files onto a dvd. Okay, I chose the free Vista program suggested here and proceeded to follow instructions to back up. I was told the dvd needed formatting first, so pressed format, and that was almost 3 hours ago. It is still trying to format and warning me not to remove disc or turn computer off. I am sure something must be wrong. Please can any of you tell me what to do now having gone this far? which has already taken me through the wee small hours and I am shattered and stressed.

Thanks in advance,

Maureen. :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 snakelady258

snakelady258
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:18 AM

Hi again. :huh:

Just to let you all know that I ended up turning off the PC, and everything does appear to be okay now thanks. Off to find out how to format in a quicker way now.

Kind Regards,

PS A great site. Well done to all involved here. :huh: :huh:

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:24 AM

Usually, CD/DVD do not require any formatting. You just insert them and burn files to them. I advise you to use some simple CD/DVD file burning program like ImgBurn.

Windows XP (and later versions) can create Live File System on a CD-RW/DVD-RW to use it like an USB stick and that requires formatting. But the process is very slow and I advise using a real USB stick instead.

#4 snakelady258

snakelady258
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:35 AM

Thank you so much for taking the time out to reply and give me some great information Romeo29. It is much appreciated. :huh:

Kind Regards,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users