Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Domain Vs Workgroup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Christechie

Christechie

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:34 AM

I was given an HP laptop from work. While I'm at work, it is wired to a Windows based LAN and is connected to a Primary Domain Controller.

At home I have a wireless network through a Linksys WRT54G router. I have both a desktop PC and another HP laptop (my own), which makes up my network. The new laptop "sees" the wireless network and connects without a problem. However, in order to access the 2 printers that are physically connected to my Desktop PC, I had to take the new laptop out of the domain and add it to the Workgroup of my wireless network.

When I returned to work, I took the laptop out of this workgroup and returned it to the domain. There was no problem in doing so, but do I have to perform these steps each time? Is there a way to have the laptop belong to the domain and the workgroup at the same time, under separate configurations?

The desktop PC is running Windows XP Pro, as is the work HP laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 donzo44

donzo44

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:34 PM

I was given an HP laptop from work. While I'm at work, it is wired to a Windows based LAN and is connected to a Primary Domain Controller.

At home I have a wireless network through a Linksys WRT54G router. I have both a desktop PC and another HP laptop (my own), which makes up my network. The new laptop "sees" the wireless network and connects without a problem. However, in order to access the 2 printers that are physically connected to my Desktop PC, I had to take the new laptop out of the domain and add it to the Workgroup of my wireless network.

When I returned to work, I took the laptop out of this workgroup and returned it to the domain. There was no problem in doing so, but do I have to perform these steps each time? Is there a way to have the laptop belong to the domain and the workgroup at the same time, under separate configurations?

Hi

Net Profile Switch is one possibility:

http://www.sharewarejunction.com/info30957.htm

Never used it myself. As always be careful before installing ANYTHING. Take a restore point for starters.

Regards

Bryan
Dual Opteron 250's, 1.6TB, youngest son still at home, large electricity bill

#3 donzo44

donzo44

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:36 PM

Hi again

Google for 'freeware laptop network configuration switcher' will find a good selection.

Regards

Bryan
Dual Opteron 250's, 1.6TB, youngest son still at home, large electricity bill

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:43 PM

I know that you can and that it's got something to do with profiles that you choose at login, but I have no idea how you do it. Hopefully someone else can explain it.
Edit: Looks like donzo44 already covered that.
:thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 15 November 2005 - 06:45 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Avatar

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 01 December 2005 - 02:13 AM

If you make the name of your home network workgroup the same as the name of your domain at work, you should be able to access shared resources on the workgroup without changing from a domain to a workgroup. For example: if your domain at work is called AMERICAS, then call your home workgroup AMERICAS too. If you are connected to work through a VPN, then you will probably not have access (depends on the VPN you use). When I need to print or move a file between my work system and one of my home systems, I kill the VPN connection, and then reconnect when I'm done. Also, you may not be able to access the domain system from the workgroup systems - only the workgroup systems from the domain system. Sometimes you can go both ways if you have admin rights on the domain system.

#6 sevciu

sevciu

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:05 AM

Amazing, cannot believe this post is nearly 3 years old. However, here is another answer: You don't really need to specifficaly log into the workgroup when you start your laptop. I learned that you can type the IP address (like \\10.1.1.2) in the address bar of the Windows Explorer, and you can log as Guest to the home computer with shared resources, i.e. printer, folder, etc. It worked for me while the laptop is still loged into the domain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users