Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Really slow internet, but only to one site. HUH!!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dee50

dee50

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:39 AM

Hi my first post, so if i am in the wrong section i apologise. I have a wierd one!! I trade the currency markets from home and for 18 months I have done so without problems but since the 13th September I have been having problems downloading my chart data from my broker. This followed an upgrade to their trading platform, so I assumed it was their problem, they have spent a lot of time trying to solve this but could not find anything wrong and I am the only one reporting this problem. I ran a virus scan and AVG came up with 2, Trojan java/downloader AA and Virus java downloader AB AVG put these in the virus vault and I scanned again with AVG and for good measure Malwarebytes both came up clean. But the problem persits. I contacted vodafone my ISP and they advised me that I needed to upgrade my USB modem because they had just upgraded their systems for the new hsdpa and hspa and they had had a lot of complaints from people with older modems. I upgraded but the problem persists, my internet connection speed has improved. Just to clarify, I have no problem connecting to any other aspect of the internet, at speed, but when I connect to my broker to download my chart data, what used to take no more than a minute now takes upto 30-45mins.
I have used TCPView to monitor what is happening. When I initially connect data arrives quickly, megabytes in seconds, but then it is as if someone closes the valve and data trickells in, literally in bits not bytes hence my question, Is there a virus/trojan that can target specifically 1 site?

I am running vista home premium SP1
I have AVG and Superantispyware running, I also scan with Malwarebytes ( not regularly enough) All have been turned off to test the connection.
Windows Firewall
I have used Housecall and 4 others, online checkers etc, who I can not remember at this time, to quadruple check. Everything clean
As I have Dynamic IP addresses I have checked and found that all of them appear on one or more Blacklists, it seems that everyone has been infected at some time recently, except the reported infection times do not coincide with when my computer was on.
I have run PINGPLOTTER to trace the connection route, 20 hops from Spain to chicago, packet loss varies from 0-100%, Ping varies from 150ms - 2,478ms, but doesn,t coincide with when I am downloading chart data from my broker.

HELP. I am at a complete loss at what to do next, can anyone give me a direction to go in wacko.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:22 PM

Routing error, I think. And the reason is because "packet loss varies" "ping varies...2,478ms". Being a international hop, just makes it seem even more likely.

You can't really do anything, neither can your ISP or the place you work/download for. You could try 3rd party DNS servers, but for routing the ISP's server normally gives better results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users