Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Onboard Audio vs PCIe x1 Audio Card

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 IT Girl in Training

IT Girl in Training

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:13 AM

Hello all!

I have a motherboard (Pegatron M2NLA-68 Narra5) which I plan on upgrading in the future. However, for now I am curious as to whether upgrading my on-board audio, which is Realtek 5.1 HD Audio, to this PCIe x1 based sound card, is worth it. When I get this motherboard, will I even have use for this card?

Thank you!
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:06 AM

You will always get better audio quality from a separate audio card (PCI or PCIe) primarily because onboard audio is affected by interference with other motherboard components.

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:31 PM

Hello all!

will I even have use for this card?

Thank you!

Hi, thats a question only you can answer ,if you only plan on using it to listen to music or windows sounds from you computer ,on a basic set of speakers ,the answer is no ,the onboard audio of the new motherboard will be more than enought to do that .
But if you plan on hooking computer up to a entertainment center with surround sound speakers ,and play music and movies through you computer to you TV's entertainment center,[will I even have use for this card?] then the answer would be Yes

Edited by caperjac, 04 October 2010 - 03:32 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:46 PM

Don't get that card. It's garbage.
This one is better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16829132006
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:04 PM

Unless you specifically need a card for some sort of specialized use, the onboard (of that new board} is fine. That new board has optical and HDMI already on it so that sound card would be a bit redundant.

I hate to suggest anyone buy a Creative product. If you need digital outputs, that Xonar might not fit the bill. I usually require SPDIF/optical out for my systems.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:00 PM

Actually, the selection of PCI-E cards might be limited because of the northbridge heatsink, so my previous suggestion might not work.

Edited by RainbowSix, 04 October 2010 - 09:01 PM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#7 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:34 PM

^^^What is wrong with the northbridge heatsink?

Don't get that card. It's garbage.
This one is better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16829132006

I wouldn't call it "garbage". It's a basic sound card. I agree that the Asus is better though what deters me from considering it is the need for a 4-pin power connection.

Unless you specifically need a card for some sort of specialized use, the onboard (of that new board} is fine. That new board has optical and HDMI already on it so that sound card would be a bit redundant.

I hate to suggest anyone buy a Creative product. If you need digital outputs, that Xonar might not fit the bill. I usually require SPDIF/optical out for my systems.

Not many headphones or PC speakers use optical (SPDIF) or HDMI connections that I know of. :thumbsup:

#8 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:14 PM

^^^What is wrong with the northbridge heatsink?

Nevermind. From an overhead view, it looked like it might be in the way of longer PCIE cards but part of it is flat against the motherboard, out of the way.

Edited by RainbowSix, 04 October 2010 - 10:14 PM.

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#9 IT Girl in Training

IT Girl in Training
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:05 AM

Wow everyone thank you so much for the replies! It seems as if I don't have a need for a sound card until I get that home theater system I want. :^)~ Until then...

The only thing I really use as far as media is listening to music on a three-piece system (2 speakers, 1 subwoofer) and the occasional USB connection to a recording mic for acoustic guitar, or my Casio WK-3300. Unless the better sound card transposes into better music quality from a USB recording, I can't see that I'll need it.

Thanks again for the insight, everyone.

Edited by IT Girl in Training, 05 October 2010 - 12:06 AM.

Posted Image

#10 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:53 AM

Not many headphones or PC speakers use optical (SPDIF) or HDMI connections that I know of. :thumbsup:

Glad you are a psychic and knew that there would be no need for digital out.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users