Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fake Antivirus removal problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pkremida

pkremida

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:08 AM

Hello!

First of all, thank you in advance for any and all help. Here is my problem

Problem: I got one of those fake antivirus programs that will not allow me to open any programs or web pages until I pay for it's fake software to remove the virus that is not there. It is called 'Antivirus IS'.

What I have done so far: I rebooted my computer in safe mode with networking and ran SUPERAntiSpyware Portable. This removed plenty of bad programs, but when I rebooted the main problem was still there.

I am about to run Combofix, as per the instructions on howtogeek.com. They linked to the following site...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

and they suggested I post a topic in this forum to help with my problem. Can anybody help me?

Thanks for any and all help. I am using my roomie's computer to do this right now.

THANK YOU!

-Peter

Edited by hamluis, 04 October 2010 - 06:19 AM.
Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:18 AM

Please...do not run ComboFix on your own.

I suggest that you read ComboFix usage, Questions, Help - Look here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic273628.html.

I am moving your topic to a more appropriate forum, please take all instructions from BC Staff personnel in the Am I Infected forum...from this point on.

Louis

#3 terence corkery

terence corkery

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:52 PM

I had a problem with antivirus 2010. Used rkill.exe to stop it from running, then used malwarebytes.com free version ,complete scan to get rid of it. hope this helps

#4 puterzfml

puterzfml

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:00 PM

Thank you thank you thank you, thank you all :D I had an issue when I went to a site and clicked the wrong "download now" button >.< It instantly took me to a AntiVirus site that tried to run a scan and get me to buy it's product saying that my computer was infected. From that point it constantly hijacked my browser taking me to it's site and other shall we say "shady" sites >.> A friend recommended this site & forum, and in this thread, I did the steps recommended ( rkill then malwarebytes )... so far, no issues! I'm very thankful and I hope that particular virus never comes back. I couldn't do anything... I could open no executable files of any kind, even Task Manager. So thanks again! WOOT!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users