Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No internet access after Red Cross removal in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rjmccutchan

rjmccutchan

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:42 PM

I hope this is the correct forum for this.

I had a devil of a time removing Red Cross from a relatives computer, but finally got it with Malwarebytes.

Problem is, now it will not connect to the internet, either by wireless or hardwire, and he had no troubles before this. It sees the router (and all the neighbors modems), and shows the signal strength bars, but it says it has "limited access". When I click firefox or IE, it says "Server Not Found". I know the router is working good because we had another computer and an i-phone that were working good. Then, I brought the computer back to my house and it doesn't work here either.

*I turned off Windows firewall and disabled Webroot.
*I tried to go back to a restore point, but it wouldn't do that either.
*I disabled the network adapters and re-enabled them.
*I restarted the computer several times.
*I used Rkill before Malwarebytes.
*I manually updated Malwarebytes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

Edited by Budapest, 04 October 2010 - 01:04 AM.
Moved from Win7 ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:25 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I had your thread moved to the Networking forums where you will get better assistance for networking issues.

Can you please post your computers make and model number?

Also can you post your routers make and model number?

I want to ask if you see the networking icon near the clock in the system tray?

If it does appear is there a red X over the icon? Hovering over the icon if it is there does it say network Internet access?

After you answer the questions above, I am going to offer you a few command prompts that you can try that will give us some idea if your Ethernet adapter is working properly.

There may be a few drivers you deleted along with the virus you had, so we may be looking at re-installing your drivers.

This may be noticeable if you look in device manager and see any exclamation marks or red X's over the icons next to Network adapter.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 rjmccutchan

rjmccutchan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:55 AM

Thanks Bruce!

Here is the run down:

*Model: Toshiba Satellite L505-S5990

*Modem: Linksys BEFCMU10 Ver.2

*Router: Motorola VT2442-VD

*There is a networking icon in the tray near the clock. It has an exclamation point over the icon.

*Hovering over the icon in the tray says: Identifying.......(Linksys) No Network Access, and it just keeps saying Identifying............

I went to the device drivers and there is an exclamation point over the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter (Driver version: 6.1.7600.16385) , but not the Realtek NIC or the Realtek Wireless LAN NIC icons.

I double clicked on the Microsoft WiFi icon, and under"Device Status" it says This device cannot start. (code 10)

When I double clicked on the other two adapters, device status says This device is working properly

I don't have any information about my relatives router/modem, except that the router is a Netgear.

Thank you very much for any assistance.

Bob

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:39 PM

First thing I want you to try is going to Windows 7's command prompt and type the following. IPCONFIG /ALL

The text in bold does have a space between the G and the forward slash /

Please post back what text you see and we'll take it from there.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 rjmccutchan

rjmccutchan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:11 PM

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Owner>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Owner-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-33-FA-F7-85
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 70-1A-04-26-A8-46

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PC
I-E NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 70-1A-04-26-A8-46
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c1:3bd9:b5b9:7ae2%11(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.122.226(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{7E7A4B94-8A32-4D95-803E-9AECEE24FBE0}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

C:\Users\Owner>

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:49 AM

Please read this article from Micorsoft about that Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums...e3-35c46ddb47f0

As for the rest of your connections, did you type everything that you seen in the IPCONFIG results?

I did not see any default gateway listed

It looks almost to me like you have 2 adapters besides the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport.

I see:

1.Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection This would be your wired connection

2. Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2 This is Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

3. Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection This is Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC

Okay lets get the drivers for the Realtek Ethernet adapter and the Realtek wireless adapter first, items number 1 & 3.
Number 2 has to be downloaded from Windows UpDate.

Here is a rarely looked for web site The Realtek web site, it is not often found because there is NO .COM at the end, its .com.tw

http://www.realtek.com.tw/

Now for your two realtek drivers you need.

You will find them at this link http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...el=2&Conn=1

Don't forget your cards are PCI-E, one is wireless and one is Ethernet.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 05 October 2010 - 04:52 AM.

#7 rjmccutchan

rjmccutchan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:10 AM

Thanks for your time and patience.

I installed the drivers for the Realtek. I could not find the driver for the PCIe FE Family Controller, but I did for the other Realtek controller. I did find a PCIe FE Family Controller at PC Pitstop and installed it.

No change. It is still at the "Identifying" stage.

I disabled the Miniport WiFi adapter, and still no change.

This is starting to drive me batty :thumbsup:

He has a set of discs that Best Buy made for him when he purchased the computer. I could get those if they would be of any use.

Again, thanks.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:16 PM

You should get those disks because they may have a driver that is needed for this computer that may at least get the network related hardware working again.

Here is what we are going to try next.

First shut down all the computers that are part of this network.

Unplug the power supply from the router, so that it is completely power off.

Reset the modem or power it off for about 5 minutes.

Let everything sit like this for a total of 5 minutes.

Now if you unpluged the modem, plug it back in again.

Allow the modem to establish an Internet connection. The CABLE light should be lit when this is done.

Now lets get your MODEM support pages up here for reference.

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/BEFCMU10

There is a driver for this modem here. http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/BEFCMU10

There is also 3 user manuals in .pdf format at that link above.

Here is the user manual for your modem. http://homedownloads.cisco.com/downloads/BEFCMU10-v2_ug.pdf

Now we'll move onto your ROUTER.

Here is a .pdf version of the owners manual here.

http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/pr...anual_US_UK.pdf

You can now power up the router and allow it to communicate with your MODEM.

Once this is done the modem's LINK/ACT light should now flash, meaning the router and it have established a connection to each other. The ROUTERS Internet light should also be flashing. The send and receive lights should be inactive for now, they will be until the computer is again powered up and communicating with the network, so no need to worry about that at this point.

Now once the Modem and router are finished running their setup and registration communications, it is time to start up one computer, in this case the computer you have a problem with, make sure this is hooked up through a CAT 5 networking cable and plugged into LAN PORT #1. Make sure the RJ-45 plugs on the network cable are not damaged in any way.

Make sure it is securely hooked up to the LAN port on your computer's Ethernet port.

See if it connects to the Internet by opening a web browser, if anything try going to ALL PROGRAMS, ACCESSORIES, SYSTEM TOOLS, and INTERNET EXPLORER (With no add-ons) and use this browser.

We are going to access the ROUTERS setup menus.

I will NOT offer default passwords here even though they are published in the manual, you should know them anyways since you own the equipment. SO that part will be omitted from the following text.

Logging In to the VT2442
1 On a computer connected to the VT2442, open a Web browser.
2 In the Address or Location field, type http://192.168.15.1 and press ENTER.
3 In the Username field, type your user name.
4 In the Password field, type your password.
5 Click Log In to display the HOME page:

Hopefully someone told you to change the default password to one of your own, routers have a default user name and password that everyone knows publicly.

Before I go any further with instructions, I need to ask you if your connection problem at this point has been corrected.

I also need to ask you if you were NOT able to connect to the Internet, were you able to gain access to the routers setup menu by typing that http://192.168.15.1 URL above?

I will wait for your answers.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 05 October 2010 - 02:18 PM.

#9 rjmccutchan

rjmccutchan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:59 PM

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner. Work kinda gets in the way :flowers:

I followed your instructions, and still nothing.

I could not access the address you gave me. It says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" However, I was able to access everything from my other computers. I have one with Windows Vista and one with Ubuntu Llinux.

I have verified the connection is good, and the greenish light is on where the cat5 cable plugs in.

Maybe I shouldn't have done this, but I went back to a restore point of a month ago. I have fixed some problems in the past like this. When I did, the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter was not there, and I got an error stating the computer could not start because the ITConfigMgr.dll file was missing. But the computer started anyway.

I then went back to the restore point as of yesterday (tuesday), and the Miniport Adapter appeared again, but still no internet.

I then re-installed the current drivers for everything again, and still nothing.

Again, I really appreciate your help. I am trying to get people switched over to Linux so they don't have these problems :thumbsup:

Thanks

Bob

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:58 PM

Okay I see where you said you used system restore and went back in time, and found the Miniport Adapter wasn't listed in the device manager.

So I am assuming that you brought the system back to the present again to find it listed again, am I correct on this?

I am going to provide a few links to the Toshiba web site that are related to your laptop Satellite L505-S5990.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...mily=1073768663

Here is the user guide.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...mily=1073768663 You can save this guide to your desktop if you wish too.

Here are all the current drivers for your computer for windows 7.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...ily=1073768663#

Let me do some further research here. After I look through the manuals and bulletins associated with your computer, I will have a better idea how to get things back to normal again here for you.
In the meantime, you can look over the download section to see if you might be missing a driver.

Bruce.

#11 tommy28

tommy28

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:13 AM

You don't have a routable ip address. Try going to your command prompt and typing ipconfig /release. (Notice the space between ipconfig and /release). After that type ipconfig /renew. That will hopefully release your apipa ip address and get you a valid routable ip address.

#12 rjmccutchan

rjmccutchan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:32 PM

Thanks Tommy-

I did that and got the error: The RPC server is unavailable

I acquired the disc's that he got from Best Buy when he bought the computer, and one was "Apps and Drivers". I re-installed any drivers that pertained to networking, and still no change.

I believe it may be time to back-up his data, which will all fit on a dvd, and start the reformatting process.

Thanks

Bob

#13 tommy28

tommy28

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:52 PM

Try this. Go to start and type services. Make sure your dhcp service is started and set to automatic. Also make sure your RPC service is started and set to automatic.

#14 rjmccutchan

rjmccutchan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:08 PM

Well, I've tried all the things mentioned, and still nothing.

So.....I backed up all his data, which fit on one dvd, and inserted the system restore discs and zapped it back to factory out-of-the-box status. And of course, everything works fine again, albeit with a LOT of updating stuff. Took several hours to re-install...what a pain! I'm not a windows fan :thumbsup:

I was really hoping to figure it out without doing this, but I am out of spare time to mess with it as my brother in-law only has the one computer and he needed to get it back soon.

Anyway, thanks again for all of the help. If nothing else, I learned how to get around Windows 7 a little better. I've never used it before, so it was a new experience.

Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users