Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program to remove duplicate files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hackman2007

hackman2007

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:05 PM

I frequently record TV with my HTPC. I used GBPVR for about a year and then switched back to Windows Media Center. Unfortunately, sometimes when recording it will record the same show, but with a different file extension. GBPVR had the file extension as .mpg and Windows Media Center has the extension has .dvr-ms (I convert from .wtv since some applications cannot handle .wtv).

So does anyone know of an application that will let me search through the hard drive based on the file name and ignore the extension?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:05 AM

The Windows search function does that.

I suspect that the results would be better/more reliable...if you just search for the file extensions and then segregate the files you want by placing them in one folder...from the search results.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 October 2010 - 11:07 AM.

#3 hackman2007

hackman2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:54 PM

I was hoping there was a third party program that could make this easier.

It's not so easy when you have hundreds of multimedia files and some that are duplicated while others are not.

I will keep looking I guess.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:21 PM

Try Auslogics Duplicate File Finder

#5 hackman2007

hackman2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:37 PM

Try Auslogics Duplicate File Finder

Unfortunately that program does not handle duplicate file names.

I'm wondering if there is a way to get a complete, alphabetical list of all the shows on the hard drive that meet a certain condition (.mpg or .dvr-ms). I then could compare the lists generated using something like Excel and the match function. Since all files are in the same location I could batch file deletion or use something like Pocket Killbox to remove the duplicates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users