Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need Help Again

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 im_no_good_with_computers

im_no_good_with_computers

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 08:42 AM

hi i was updating my computer and it installed service pack 2 is this bad?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 im_no_good_with_computers

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:39 AM

aslo every time i start it up it askes to install the hardware acpi uniprocessor pc
is this bad? also, this is after ive done a systme recovery with my compaq
it says that xp doesnt support it or something about a liscence and it says it might corrupt my system so i havent done it

Edited by im_no_good_with_computers, 15 November 2005 - 11:10 AM.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 07:13 PM

hi i was updating my computer and it installed service pack 2 is this bad?

No. If it installed properly it's very good to get your Windows XP at SP2 level, since a lot of security holes have been patched up. If you have problems after installing SP2 I understand Microsoft offer free telephone support (at least in the US).

every time i start it up it askes to install the hardware acpi uniprocessor pc
is this bad?

That is Windows 'Advanced Configuration and Power Interface' which controls power-saving and shut-down functions. If your computer BIOS can handle ACPI then you should let it install.
Check your PC manual to see if the BIOS supports ACPI or search in the BIOS by pressing 'F10' (I think that's the one for Compaqs?) while the computer is starting.

this is after ive done a systme recovery with my compaq
it says that xp doesnt support it or something about a liscence and it says it might corrupt my system so i havent done it

Could you expand on this please. Quote the warning messages you get.

:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 im_no_good_with_computers

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2005 - 10:06 PM

it says that it hasnt been tested by microsoft and windows xp may not spport it
and says that it may mess up the system no or in the future

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2005 - 11:03 PM

Sorry, but if I am to advise you I need to know precisely what you are speaking about. What is "it" and what exactly is the error message?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 im_no_good_with_computers

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:37 AM

ok well at first the little bubble pops up and says new hardware found ACPI uniprocessor pc
and then another bubble pops up and says new hardware ACPI MULTIprocessor pc and then it says
that the multiprocessor pc hasnt passed testing to see if its windows xp compatible so i stop the installation b/c it says it might destabalize my system
and f10 on my computer does system recovery not bios i tried to call compaq support but they tried to charge me 45 dollars to talk to a technician

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2005 - 06:06 PM

What is your computer model name and number? Do you know what processor you have?

When you boot now the hardware wizard comes up with a window to install "new hardware ACPI MULTIprocessor pc " and you cancel and continue the boot process?
When booted does the system behave normally? Does it shutdown when told?

Go to Control Panel.
Double click the 'System' icon.
On the first 'System Properties' window (the 'General' tab) what does it say under System: Microsoft Windows XP? (down to 'Registered to:')
Click the Hardware tab.
Click the Device Manager button.
You will see a list of hardware devices recognised by your system.
Do any of them have a red or yellow symbol after the name?
Click the plus beside 'Computer' what is listed?

:thumbsup:

#8 im_no_good_with_computers

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2005 - 10:42 AM

system: micfosoft windows xp, home edition,version 2002, service pack 1, i dont really know if i should give out the name for the registration
i have a compaq presario
pentium 4 and yes it does behave and shut down normally i believe
ok heres what happens when i start my computer, it starts, goes to my desktop, where a little bubble on the bottom left pops up and says new hardware found ACPI Uniprocessor PC, then after that one goes away another one pops up that says new hardware found ACPI Multiprocessor PC, then the little screen comes up that says it hasnt passed windows testing to see compatibility with xp, it gives me the option to continue anyways or stop the installation. now this happens every time i start the computer.

Oknow about the control panel thing, i didnt see any of them with a red or yellow symbol next to them.
Under computer it says ACPI Uniprocessor pc

hope this helps

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2005 - 06:12 PM

I wasn't asking you to give out the registered name.

What model is your Compaq Presario?

I don't know what's causing your problem, but you are correct NOT to install the ACPI multiprocessor PC as this may cause system problems. The trouble is finding out why Windows thinks it detects this.

Why did you abandon the upgrade to SP2?

Edited by Rimmer, 25 November 2005 - 06:16 PM.

#10 im_no_good_with_computers

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2005 - 07:03 PM

umm i dont really know what the model is all it says anywhere is compaq presario
ya and about aborting the sp2 my house blew a fuse in the middle of installing it so it only got installed half way which is why i had to do the system recovery

ya i cant figure out why everytime i boot the pc it says that it finds the multiprocessor pc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users