Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google redirects/Generic Host Win32 error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mb9023

mb9023

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 09:44 PM

Hi, I am a student PC Technician at my college and this virus has gone around campus, as well as infected a couple friends' computers. On campus it's easy enough to just Ghost a computer, but I would rather not reinstall windows on a friend's without trying everything else first (already had to do it to one friend's, after ComboFix failed to fix the issue). Hopefully I can get some help on this specific case on a friend's computer.

Clicking on Google search links redirects to random web pages at times, and occasionally Generic Host Win32 will encounter a problem and have to close. I ran MBAM, finding 9 items that were all related to MyWebSearch. It removed them with no problems. I have also run a full scan with AVG 9.0 Free and another full scan in safe mode with MBAM both finding nothing. I also ran a batch file known for fixing the Win32 error, but it didn't help in this case. Please let me know what you would like me to run from here and what logs to post. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 09:46 PM

Try this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...sing-tdsskiller
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 mb9023

mb9023
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:08 PM

TDSS killer found the same threat that was shown in the screenshots in the atapi.sys driver. Will run MBAM again just to be safe, and let you know if problems persist. Thanks.

#4 mb9023

mb9023
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:51 AM

MBAM's not finding anything, Google doesn't seem to be redirecting and I haven't seen the error again. Also ran chkdsk, memtest, and a startup repair cause the computer was having tons of problems on startup. Seems to be alright now though. Didn't know this one could be fixed so easily! As long as it doesn't come back :thumbsup:
Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users