Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot, previous CPU overheating issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JadedGem

JadedGem

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:53 PM

I've had some overheating and virus problems in the past couple weeks. Posted here previously. I was finally able to remove the viruses after several attempts, including in safe mode. I have Avira running in real time, also use MBAM and SuperAntiSpyware.

Replies to my previous post indicated the reason my pc was freezing & having display problems was likely due to overheating. I took the advice to remove heatsink & fan, clean out dust. Cleaned out whole interior, though there wasn't much dust at all. Cleaned off the old thermal paste, but didn't have replacement paste so I replaced without it (was later advised paste IS required).

I was monitoring temperatures using Speedfan and HWMonitor. Temperatures were never very high (GPU 50-55 max, Cores each about 40-50. A bit higher when playing games). Computer was running very smoothly. I also took a few unnecessary programs out of Startup and that helped.

A couple days later, the computer froze and had display problems. I didn't get my shipment with thermal paste yet so I went out & bought some (Arctic Silver Ceramique). Once I cleaned the heat sink & cpu again & applied paste, and reseated the heatsink, the computer was working fine. For a while!

But once anyone started playing video games, the problems happened again. I thought maybe there was a problem with the way I put the paste on, too much or something, so I redid all of that, and it worked fine again for a few hours. But then it froze again & had display problems after a short while.

We were able to restart and use the computer a couple times, but then it would start freezing again, having display problems etc, until eventually it would not boot back up at all.

After unplugging and waiting a few minutes, and trying to reboot a few times, I was able to boot and get into BIOS ( I wanted to find the company name to check the POST beeps -It's AMI). Everything looked okay that I could tell, temperatures seemed fine etc. Then when I went to load Windows, it froze again. Waited and tried again many times, the computer would not boot again, just one long beep then nothing.

The next day I tried to reseat the heat sink one more time. I cleaned everything, put new thermal paste, and everything started up fine again. I don't understand why this would fix the problem, even if only temporarily. Only used the computer for basic web searching, and the temps were fine for 2 hours, nice & cool.

Then we tried a game once again. The computer froze, and we have not been able to get the computer back on since. Reseating heatsink a couple times (cleaning & replacing paste each time), even tried to reseat the CPU too. The only thing that happens now is the power supply/fan turns on, the heatsink fan turns on, but the only sound is a long beep (about 4-6 seconds) and then nothing - no display on screen and no other sounds. The power button flashes, slowly dims and brightens, but nothing else.

I don't know what else I can try besides what I have already done, over & over. I had planned to upgrade anyway so a new power supply unit is on its way, along with a new graphics card and a case fan. I will order a new heatsink & fan as well.

The last time I poked in the case, I noticed the heatsink on the motherboard - is this where the onboard graphics would be? - was warm, even though the computer had not been on for awhile (I had turned the computer on & off many times as I reseated heat sink etc, but the computer had not been powered up for hours).

Can this be a CPU issue? Overheating onboard graphics (is that possible?), or other graphics issue?

I am completely out of ideas with my limited computer knowledge. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!

Edit to add: As these problems started in past couple weeks, when I rebooted I usually had the option to Launch Startup Repair. Whenever I chose this option, I would get the Blue Screen. I just rebooted and loaded Windows normally, which worked fine except as noted above.

Edited by JadedGem, 03 October 2010 - 09:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:00 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

After reading your opening statements in your post, I would have suggested a video card issue one way or another.

I want to diagnose your beep code, however you did not post the model number of your Gateway computer, this would help me to help you better.

I have to ask you since I do not know at this point which Gateway computer you have or if your computer has an Intergrated video chip or is your video card an add-in card? ( see where you have Nvidia 9200 in your signature, however, even if this is the video adapter you are using, I can not offer you a driver unless I know if you need the one from Gateway for your motherboard.)

There are several reasons a computer will give out beep codes unlike the normal ONE quick POST beep code. (meaning system OKAY!)

Memory issues.

Video Issues.

BIOS incorrectly setup because BIOS was reset by battery failing or disconnecting during servicing.

I would like to give you a correct answer here and now, however that is NOT possible until I know exactly what Gateway computer I am offering advice on.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 03 October 2010 - 11:07 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 JadedGem

JadedGem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:43 PM

Thanks so much for your quick response!

The Gateway Model # is DX4800-05e, which I read was custom made for NewEgg (but the item is deactivated). The video card is integrated.

I hope this information helps. (I will fix my signature).

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:03 AM

Thanks for your reply I have your driver right at this link for Windows Vista 64 bit.

Corrected driver to 64 Bit version. Thanks AustrAlien for catching my error!

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...mp;param=DX4800
Let me know if this helps.

If your computer fails to boot up successfully, boot up holding the F8 key just before the Windows Vista splash screen appears, your computer should load Windows in SAFE_MODE WITH NETWORKING, download the driver and save to your desktop.

If it succeeds to boot into safe-mode, uninstall any drivers you have, by going to DEVICE MANAGER and choosing the GRAPHICS ADAPTER choose UNINSTALL.

Re-boot computer, hopefully it will boot up into windows with low resolution, most likely 800x600 Pixels.

If Windows tries to install a generic driver, click CANCEL.

Now double click the executable you saved on your desk top and install the driver.

Let me know how things turn out.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 04 October 2010 - 12:40 AM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:26 AM

I have your driver right at this link for Windows Vista 32 bit.

Whoops .... wrong one!

You need the driver for 64 bit version:
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:39 AM

I have your driver right at this link for Windows Vista 32 bit.

Whoops .... wrong one!

You need the driver for 64 bit version:

Thanks for catching that I didn't see they updated the signature with the OS version included!

I'll edit my link above to the 64 Bit version.

Thanks again!

Bruce.

#7 JadedGem

JadedGem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:01 AM

Thanks to both of you for the helpful link.

If I can get my computer to boot up I will get the Vista 64 graphics card drivers updated. Unless it doesn't happen soon, which means I will have the new graphics card in hand (Sapphire Radeon 4650).

In the meantime, any ideas for me to try so I can get my computer on? Turned the power on again this morning, but it was just the same one long beep, and nothing after that (no sound, nothing on display).

Edited by JadedGem, 04 October 2010 - 10:03 AM.

#8 JadedGem

JadedGem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:51 PM

I got some advice re the one long beep = memory refresh error.

So I re-seated all the RAM sticks, they were all fine once reseated, and the computer is up & running. :thumbsup:

I updated the drivers via the link provided above - thanks.

I will have to just wait & see what happens - if the video problems are resolved or not.

Thanks much!!

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:19 PM

Hey I am glad to hear you resolved the problem and thank you for letting us know that you did.

Just for future reference I'll provide you with a support link for your computer, since I realize Newegg isn't going to provide that information.

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/DX/DX4800/DX4800nv.shtml

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/DX/DX4800/DX4800sp3.shtml

I am hoping this is your computer if this is NOT, then please correct me on this.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users