Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP unexpected shut downs

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 kb11

kb11

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:59 PM

XP Prof keeps shutting down the moment the system starts up
Hello,

I am running Windows XP Professional on my desktop. It is most likely to be SP2 (but I am unable to confirm that as of now).

The problem started yesterday afternoon - with windows trying to shut itself down. All the open programmes would give a notification - for example, firefox would ask if I want it to remember all tabs etc. I was able to defer shut down a couple of times by clicking 'Cancel' when a programme's notification popped up (I did so in Winamp and in Auto CAD)

A bit later, it would shut down all the programmes by itself too. And then log of windows and shut down.

And now, windows will not boot normally. Keeping F8 pressed, however, turns it on and takes me to the screen where I can choose from:
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with (something-else)

Enable boot logging
Enable VGA mode
Last known good config

Directory Services Restore Mode
Disable Auto restart on System Failure
Normally

I tried running in Safe Mode and attempted to then start a System Restore. But within a minute of it logging in with Safe Mode, windows shut down again. I also tried Disable Auto Restart on System Failure, but that didnt change any symptoms.

I am writing this from another machine. And I do no have a bootable windows CD.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kunal

Edited by boopme, 03 October 2010 - 11:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:40 PM

It sounds like you have a malware infection. Some software is calling the routines to shut down windows.

Edit: Is this a laptop? Do you have a low battery and a failing power cord? If there is a break in your power while on a low battery it could be set to shut itself down... but i didnt think it would do that in safe mode.

Edited by Gabrial, 03 October 2010 - 11:43 PM.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:01 AM

Overheating can cause shutdowns as well.

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:59 AM

Overheating can cause shutdowns as well.

Have you cleaned the desktop computer?

http://www.computerhope.com/cleaning.htm
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:45 PM

It's not likely an issue with overheating, as it's not the CPU pulling the reset line on the box. He said his programs will close and windows shuts down properly.

#6 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:48 PM

Pressing F8, boot into "Safe Mode with command prompt". You will get a DOS type command window instead of a Windows Desktop explorer shell. Hopefully the system won't shut down from here. If it doesn't we can work from here.

Get a USB stick ready so we can copy a program or two onto it from your working good computer.

Edited by Gabrial, 04 October 2010 - 05:54 PM.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:46 AM

It's not likely an issue with overheating, as it's not the CPU pulling the reset line on the box. He said his programs will close and windows shuts down properly.

Why would you assume that only the cpu can overheat?
Chewy

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,265 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:51 AM

Since the OP has not replied to any of the ideas/suggestions...I suggest we await some feedback :thumbsup:.

Louis

#9 kb11

kb11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:08 PM

Hello again,

Here are the Speccy reports: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/APyz5bh07k19qAZBboFJfQ5

And some more info:
This is a desktop machine. I opened the CPU box yesterday and cleaned off some dust from inside. The machine worked for another 12 hours (of intense CAD drafting and some image editing) before giving the same problem. At that moment (because I urgently needed the files I was working on), I placed a table fan facing the back of the CPU and turned the machine on again. It worked for 15 mins and gave me time to copy the files I needed, before shutting down gracefully once again.

Once it shut down, I switched off the wall socket's switch. And the strange thing (strange to me atleast) is that, an hour later, when I turned on the wall switch again, the machine started on its own, without me pressing the start button on the CPU.

I am writing this from the affected machine. And its been running fine for the past few hours (only Firefox is open).

Thanks,
Kunal

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:39 PM

Your video card is way to hot. Can you take a picture of the insides of your case?

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:03 PM

Besides the video, the hard drive is running too hot for my tastes, without a mobo temp to go on, I would suspect the northbridge and power supply are getting quite hot. Can you add a fan to the case? or move the case to get some cooler air, many times exhaust air just gets recirculated?

Edited by DaChew, 05 October 2010 - 03:03 PM.

Chewy

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:23 PM

If you do not back up your data regularly to a separate media, you should. Would hate to see you lose any of your projects.

EDIT. It was brought to my attention, Thank you CD. That CrystalDiskInfo now comes bundled with some un-needed software. For this reason I am withdrawing my recommendation and removing the link.

Edit #2 Here is a link to the page with the standalone version. http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.h...CrystalDiskInfo. Be sure to download CrystalDiskInfo 3.8.0c [2010/09/18] named Portable Edition (zip)

Sorry for the confusion. Thank you CryptoDan for getting me straightened out. :thumbsup:

Edited by ThunderZ, 05 October 2010 - 04:53 PM.

#13 kb11

kb11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:02 PM

UPDATE: The machine is looked after by some technician, who found the video card to be quite hot. Its been removed for now, and am running on on-board memory. A replacement graphic card should be on its way soon (hopefully for free!). I will keep this topic updated.

Meanwhile, question: What is the average temperature that a video card and the HDD would / should run at? I ran Speccy again, and even right now with just firefox running the CPU is at 37degreed and hard drive at 45degrees.

And I am going to try moving the CPU from a tray on the floor to the top of a table. Hopefully that'll help in some circulation.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:11 PM

Can you take a picture of the insides of your case, as well as where its located?

#15 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:06 PM

Here's some temps in a cool room(68F)

Temperatures:
Motherboard 29 C (84 F)
CPU 29 C (84 F)
CPU Diode 30 C (86 F)
GPU 49 C (120 F)
SAMSUNG SP1213C 18 C (64 F)
Seagate ST3200822AS 27 C (81 F)

The gpu runs the hottest(vid card) and the samsung HD is probably a false reading but as it's not in use I would have to test.

The case has good ventilation and a premium cooler on the cpu.
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users