Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Msn Messenger Virus Automatically Installed On Wife's Computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Larent

Larent

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 07:37 AM

Hello Friends,

My wife was watching a drama on her computer yesterday, when all of a sudden her MSN Messenger did a crazy thing. An MSN messenger window from her cousin popped up, and it started to automatically download a file to her computer. I don't know what the file was, but she claims she recognized it as a virus. It was an executable file in the form of "[chinese characters].exe". My wife tells me that the chinese characters meant "wooden horse" or "merry-go-round". I think maybe it's supposed to be the chinese form of "trojan horse?". Also, after doing a Yahoo search, she determined that the english name of the virus might be something like "download_ject".

She claims that she did not do anything to approve of the download; it just installed itself. She is using a Chinese version of MSN Messenger 7.5. I've run AVG Free and found nothing. I ran Spybot and Adaware and didn't find any spyware related to this. I also searched her computer for any new .exe files and it came up empty. Also, unless ZoneAlarm has been compromised, I didn't notice any unusual outbound traffic.

Since being 'infected' last night, her computer has shut off 3-4 times by itself. I'm not sure how long it took to shut off. Anywhere from 30 min. to an hour I guess.

Please advise, thanks.
Does anyone of this ring a bell? Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 IsMe

IsMe

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 07:41 AM

Did you run those scans in Safe Mode? If you did then try the Ewido software. It will pick up things missed by the others.

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 07:57 AM

What You Should Know About Download.Ject @ Microsoft.com

You could also try a-squared Free.

a-squared Free

a-squared (a-squared) is a complementary product to antivirus software and desktop firewalls on MS Windows computers. Antivirus software specializes in detecting classic viruses. Many available products have weaknesses in detecting other malicious software (Malware) like Trojans, Dialers, Worms and Spyware (Adware). a-squared fills the gap that malware writers exploit.

Trojans
Trojan Horses or Backdoors open your PC from the inside to attackers. Once a trojan is installed, someone can take full control of your computer. Most trojans are delivered via email and just previewing the email can activate the trojan. a-squared currently detects around 50,000 trojans.

~ Yes please run all, security scans while in safe mode.

Edited by Scarlett, 15 November 2005 - 08:09 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users