Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Ghost Restore

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 hoboque

hoboque

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:27 PM

Hi. Need a little help completing this task.

Toshiba A15-S129: XP Home, 40G IDE drive 4200rpm...drive is going bad. I have a new 60G IDE 4200 and am trying to transfer old to new. I am going to use my Dell 4550 Desktop for the "Link", which does not have USB option for boot.

I installed a fresh copy of XP Home on the new 60G drive.
The Ghost CD has a Boot Boot Disk on it (the manual says)
I installed Ghost 9.0 on the bad 40G, then transferred HD files to 16G usb thumb drive which now shows 4 items:
C Drive (Symantic Image File 4,194,176kb),
C Drive s01 (Symantic Image File 4,194,176kb),
C Drive 0s2 (Symantic Image File 1,737,728kb) and
***Toshiba User Symantic Recovery Disk file 1kb.

Because of the limitations of my desktop and available soft/hardware, the instructions I was following were: (I disconnected both of my desktop hard drives before proceeding.)
http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/laptop_hd_upgrade/

Use 2 IDE HARD DRIVE HDD 2.5" TO 3.5" ADAPTERs For LAPTOP/PC
Disconnect cable from desktop hardrive and connect to old 40G Laptop drive w IDE adapter, set Primary Master in bios
Disconnect cable from my CD drive and connect to new 60G laptop drive using 2nd IDE adapter, set Second Master in bios
Set boot to Boot Disk resource and reboot desktop.
A:\ prompt will appear: type (ghostpe.exe), (then -clone,mode=copy,src=1,dst=2)
When finished reassemble laptop with new hard drive and voila!

Since I don't have a USB boot selection on desktop, I assume I need to either set my Boot primary to A drive or CD. I have tried to copy the 16G to a 1.44MB floppy but naturally won't fit. (If I try only the ***Toshiba User Symantic Recovery Disk file 1kb listed above, that yields nothing.) If one of the other files on the 16G will work I haven't tried that yet.

I'd like to use the Ghost CD but can't figure out how to make a floppy boot diskette from that to use. The instructions are to make a Norton Ghost CD Rom Boot Diskette (which should be on the Ghost Install CD), but not sure where to put the CD to be read on boot since cable is connected to IDE adapter.

I'm open to other options, just want to get her up and running if possible. She doesn't have much of importance she says, just like to play games and use email so reinstalling that wouldn't be bad, just like the thrill of the challenge I guess!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users