Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with having only a little knowledge

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 rkoelsch

rkoelsch

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:21 PM

Okay I recently upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7. Everything is running okay and DX 10.1 makes my Dragon Age look great but I was thinking I was having memory problems. Where the 2gb of 667 ram was okay before it now seems to run out and slow things down.

I knew I had 2 1gb sticks and thought I had 4 slots. So I ordered 2 more 1 gb sticks. Well the memory arrived and I only had 2 slots and it was a micro board in a standard case so much wasted room. So I thought change the motherboard so I ended up getting Biostar Motherboard

So the motherboard came and I was going to install it. I had disassembled everything to the processor. So I unhooked the heat sink and then went brain dead. Instead of trying to slide it sideways to break the seal I pulled up on it. We low and behold I had my heatsink and processor in my hand. I look at the processor and some pins were bent. I tried bending them back.

So I tried the processor in the new mb and got no input on screen and no beeps but the fans were running so I had some power. So I tried the processor back in the original mb and had no input on screen and no beeps. I stripped it down to mb, processor, heatsink, 1 stick of the old ram and powersupply and same thing. So I am thinking the processor is gone.

I am looking at new processor to replace. Dragon Age is the most graphics intense game I play so I am not looking to build a super machine. Is my assumption of the processor the most likely culprit? And is that processor an okay replacement?

Edited by rkoelsch, 03 October 2010 - 05:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:45 PM

yes, that CPU should work with that board, and be more then enough to run dragon age with no problem whatsoever.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 rkoelsch

rkoelsch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:39 PM

Okay the new processor arrived. I tried it with the new board and I get a setup screen. Yea.
But once I leave the set up screen I get a message." Power to CPU is more than 95 watts emergency shutdown. " then it shuts down the computer.

At this point I am thinking I should have just bought a new computer. Does this mean I need a new power supply? I am not good at measuring current so troubleshooting it would be problematic.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:17 PM

no, it means that your motherboard doesnt support CPUs over 95 watt. I apologize, I missed that feature when I looked through your motherboard support list, my sincerest apologies, here is the support list Looks like it will support any CPU 95 watts and lower. Unfortunatly, newegg has a replacement only for returns on that CPU, no refund if you bought it from them, in that case, if it were me I would think you have 2 main options, one is try to buy a motherboard that does work for it, or if it were me-(trust me ive made the same mistake before) I would try and sell the CPU, either locally at a site like craigslist or newspaper, or online like ebay, try to get some of your money back that way, and then use it to purchase a new CPU that will work. Of course, you could contact newegg customer support and try to return it, couldn't hurt, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Edited by the_patriot09, 07 October 2010 - 05:20 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 rkoelsch

rkoelsch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:55 AM

Thanks Patriot. Don't worry about it. All part of the learning experience. I may also see about returning the motherboard for a refund. If not an option I will just get a new processor and sell this on on craigs list

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:42 PM

I do apologize, if it makes you feel any better I almost made the same mistake myself, my motherboard has a similar problem-its AM2, and will support any AM2 CPU up to 140 watt, but will only accept AM2+ and AM3 CPUs up to 95 watt. I dont see the logic there, but oh well. Its to bad, that 940 BE is a nice processor, and Id really like to buy it myself but it wont work with my board either.

picard5.jpg

#7 rkoelsch

rkoelsch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:49 PM

sorry to be bringing this back up. I ordered AMD Phenom II. I received the processor. I installed it and I got nothing no beeps and no bios. So I returned it and got another. same result. I find it hard to believe I would have 2 bad processors in a row. Anyone have any other ideas?

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:37 PM

Looks like that CPU is indeed on the support list, however you may need a BIOS update for it to be recognized-do you happen to have an older CPU you can slide into it to get it to boot up long enough to flash the BIOS?

picard5.jpg

#9 rkoelsch

rkoelsch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:46 PM

damn I was afraid of that. the old cpu I bent the pins taking it out so it no longer works. this has been one problem after another. well I may see about buying a cheap one on ebay.

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:28 PM

or borrow one. I wish I could say for sure-the online tech information didn't say what BIOS you need, it may be worth emailing their tech support and asking before spending any money. If you do go the ebay option, go through the motherboards CPU support list, and try to find the oldest one available.

Edited by the_patriot09, 12 November 2010 - 07:29 PM.

picard5.jpg

#11 rkoelsch

rkoelsch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 06:34 PM

I am going to try the email support first and if that is no help I am just going to take it to a pc repair. I want my computer back. Thanks for your help

#12 rkoelsch

rkoelsch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:29 AM

woohoo Biostar came through they sent me the bios and told me how to use the 125w processor to flash the motherboard.
I may have my computer back soon. yippee

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:42 PM

:thumbsup:

picard5.jpg

#14 DarkStarryNight

DarkStarryNight

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:49 PM

Do laptop encryption programs like ZoneAlarm Datalock, really protect the data and files on your laptop from a thief being able to access the data and use it for id thief or put it on the web for all to download?

I am traveling more, and if my laptop gets stolen, I donít want my data to be readable. I think ZoneAlarms Datalock laptop data encryption software, looks like it does that.

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zonealarm-data-lock.htm

It does a pre-boot authentication with a password, to prevent access to boot anything. This seems to be a general deterrent for non-technical users, correct?

Still, Datalock encrypts all the data going on the hard drive, so it they can read the drive, they canít decode the encryption, correct?

What kind of encryption does Datalock use? Is it strong or maybe unbreakable is a better word?

I just want to make sure that my computer is as secure as possible.
Drive your car fast, drive your computer faster!

#15 jill8beans2

jill8beans2

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:57 PM

Do laptop encryption programs like ZoneAlarm Datalock, really protect the data and files on your laptop from a thief being able to access the data and use it for id thief or put it on the web for all to download?

I am traveling more, and if my laptop gets stolen, I donít want my data to be readable. I think ZoneAlarms Datalock laptop data encryption software, looks like it does that.

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zonealarm-data-lock.htm

It does a pre-boot authentication with a password, to prevent access to boot anything. This seems to be a general deterrent for non-technical users, correct?

Still, Datalock encrypts all the data going on the hard drive, so it they can read the drive, they canít decode the encryption, correct?

What kind of encryption does Datalock use? Is it strong or maybe unbreakable is a better word?

I just want to make sure that my computer is as secure as possible.

This might have been put here by accident, but I will try to answer since I have also been looking at this. The Data encryption on Datalock is 256k - which is the most secure. It would take a lot to get through it. It looks to me to be a good way to make it really difficult for some to retrieve you files.
Looking for the other side of my brain, have you seen it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users