Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

4gb RAM, System Properties say only 3.25 usable

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lilkel35

lilkel35

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:27 PM

I have a Dell XPS M1710. Processor Centrino Duo T7200. I looked through lots of discussion and ran the Windows 7 upgrade advisor, etc. It showed that the system was 64-bit compatible and everything was able to be upgraded. We purchased RAM to take the system from 2gb to 4gb, which Dell system suggestions said it was able to be upgraded to as well. Did a clean install to upgrade from Vista 32-bit to Vista 64-bit and everything is fine. However, I notice that in the system area it says that the system has 4 gb of ran, but only 3.25 is usable. When I go into the BIOS under memory it says "Due to an amount of memory being assigned for system use, Memory Available is less than Memory Installed." It also says that it cannot be changed. If the system is able to go up to 4gb of RAM according to Dell, and I now have a 64-bit operating system, why am I still not getting use out of all 4 gb of RAM? Is there a way to resolve this? (I apologize in advance if I put this in the wrong forum section or if this was already in the forum and I could not find it.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:25 PM

Your video card is probably using the rest of the memory.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:16 PM

Useable RAM reflected by Windows...is equal to installed RAM...minus RAM used by Windows for internal processes and any RAM which is used for onboard video chips.

You may want to read http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?opti...view&id=541.

Louis

#4 lilkel35

lilkel35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:30 PM

Any way to confirm the RAM is being used by video? I've never seen this before and I had a brand new 6gb laptop a month or so ago that had an i7 processor and ATI video card and showed it had 6 gb and didn't have a different number in parentheses as "usable".

The article attached is WAY over my head and sounds like something techs would use for troubleshooting, not intermediate users. There is no malfunctioning on the system at all, it is working great so far, just wish I could get all the use out of the new RAM just installed as possible.
Please, any user-friendly suggestions appreciated.

(Also a note, since we stripped the hard drive and did a completely clean install--even removing the recovery partition--how can I get ahold of the diagnostics to test the new memory and what tools can I use to see if it's being used by something else in the system?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:32 PM

Your HD Card may have dedicated memory so what you are seeing is true in that retrospect. This other laptop may allocate physical system RAM for video card ram.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users