Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware Interrupts - I'm Confused.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ryano1

Ryano1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:17 PM

Uncertain on where to post this so the hardware forum will probably be correct.

Found my pc running at a high CPU earlier, did virus scans etc and nothing came up, got ProcessExplorer and found that there was 'Interrupts' running at 45% or so. My problem is that I dont understand about hardware or how interrupts are caused, i recently (week ago) installed a wheel for my computer but the interrupts only started today. Can you help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryano1

Ryano1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:55 PM

Used the winhlp link i found elsewhere and it appears to have sorted it. The IDE drives were running PIO and after doing what they said they're in DMA mode now.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:56 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

When you say a Wheel is this a steering wheel for playing a driving video game of some sort?

Interrupts are explained at these web sites.

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/irq/irq.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrupt_request

Once you have read those pages above you now can understand that each piece of hardware in your computer needs its own special attention from the CPU, so it is assigned what is called an Interrupt number. Some IRQs are reserved for the system, others are shared among the hardware that requires an IRQ.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:59 PM

Used the winhlp link i found elsewhere and it appears to have sorted it. The IDE drives were running PIO and after doing what they said they're in DMA mode now.

LOL you must have read my post in another thread I was helping in, is this correct?

Because I posted a link in that thread related to what you are refering to here.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Ryano1

Ryano1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:40 PM

More than likely, the wheel I installed was a G27 Racing Wheel and not one for a hamster. I've checked on the Process Explorer and its all acting how it should, the Drives that were PIO are now on DMA, so thank you for the links explaining them as well :thumbsup:

Edited by Ryano1, 03 October 2010 - 01:41 PM.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:09 PM

You are most welcomed! :thumbsup:

In case someone sees this thread I will offer the link I provided to the other member in that other thread here in this thread. This way other members will know what link helped you resolve your problem here in this thread.

Here is the link: DMA reverts to PIO mode.

http://winhlp.com/node/10

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 03 October 2010 - 02:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users